street photography

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 16, 2004 in Landscapes
found in a reflection of a giant silver apple, in nyc's grand central terminal.

canon 20d, iso 1600, 16-35L aboard @ 16mm and f/2.8

8588225-L.jpg

like street photography? more in this gallery

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    I like that shot, Andy. You do great street stuff. I am going to the oncologist tomorrow, but they probably wouldn't let me take photos there. YOu know your dentist shot, I almost made a remark about going someone going to the gynocologist, but I restrained myself.

There is one thing you do well, you show up! Then you are aware of your surroundings. And have the eye. Finally the technicality comes in.

Thanks for all the shooting info. I assume, didn't notice, but I assume you do that stuff handheld.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Sweet shot. Any toning? I always love the feel of your shots, even when untouched.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    zero post processing extras
    wxwax wrote:
    Sweet shot. Any toning? I always love the feel of your shots, even when untouched.

nothin' but slight curves for contrast here.

thanks for the kind words, sid :)
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    found in a reflection of a giant silver apple, in nyc's grand central terminal.

canon 20d, iso 1600, 16-35L aboard @ 16mm and f/2.8

like street photography? more in this gallery
    ISO 1600.. wait wait.. I'm confused. Would you mind elaborating Andy.. Why iso of 1600 and I get f/2.8 so what was the shutter speed.. sorry to sound dumb... but I am.... most of the time.:D

Love the shot.
    Lynn
    andy wrote:
    nothin' but slight curves for contrast here.

thanks for the kind words, sid :)

I gotta learn Curves. It intimidates the heck out me, seems to be very difficult to control. But my goodness, the results are outstanding.

Love your work, babe. naughty.gif I even tried to ripoff a couple of your ideas on my last trip. I'll post 'em when I get the time to tweak 'em.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    wxwax wrote:
    I gotta learn Curves. It intimidates the heck out me, seems to be very difficult to control. But my goodness, the results are outstanding.

Love your work, babe. naughty.gif I even tried to ripoff a couple of your ideas on my last trip. I'll post 'em when I get the time to tweak 'em.
    Sid... don't be intimidated by curves... just grab the damn thing an' twist it till it looks good. Plonk a thingy in the center first to hold the sucker down tho..mwink.gif
    cus it was dark and i dont' use flash :)
    lynnma wrote:
    ISO 1600.. wait wait.. I'm confused. Would you mind elaborating Andy.. Why iso of 1600 and I get f/2.8 so what was the shutter speed.. sorry to sound dumb... but I am.... most of the time.:D

Love the shot.
    Lynn

i was 1/60th sec i think here. in the main section of gct, at high noon, or at 6pm, i need iso 1600, to get f/2.8 and 1/30th :) now often i'll got to iso 800 or 400, if i want slower shutter speed, to capture some movement.

does this answer your question, lynnie dear? ps: NOT dumb.
    andy wrote:
    i was 1/60th sec i think here. in the main section of gct, at high noon, or at 6pm, i need iso 1600, to get f/2.8 and 1/30th :) now often i'll got to iso 800 or 400, if i want slower shutter speed, to capture some movement.

does this answer your question, lynnie dear? ps: NOT dumb.
    Andy... you say not dumb... I never ever thought of faster ISO in those terms.... don't ask me what I thought it was for... so my next question is.. why is it not really grainy then...eek7.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    Sid... don't be intimidated by curves... just grab the damn thing an' twist it till it looks good. Plonk a thingy in the center first to hold the sucker down tho..mwink.gif
    Sounds like my love life. naughty.gif Lynn, you really have a handle on some of these photoshop techniques, you're inspiring me to tackle curves. Makes my brain hurt, though.
    Sid.
    higher isos
    lynnma wrote:
    Andy... you say not dumb... I never ever thought of faster ISO in those terms.... don't ask me what I thought it was for... so my next question is.. why is it not really grainy then...eek7.gif

boosting the iso makes the sensor more sensitive to light. so, in low light, you want to boost the iso to maintain a given shutter speed / aperture combination.

the reason they are not so noisy anymore at iso 1600 is that canon has really improved their technology clap.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    From what I can tell there are two kinds of curves. One scares me, too. My control on it is lousy.

That one is LAB curves, the Margulis wonder way to go.

The other is plain old curves, RGB, talked up in all the books, an eye dropper here, an eye dropper there, etc. Now that one is what I am using, when I possibly can. Then I tweak in my usual way, but skip levels, go to the saturation thing, might go to color selection, sometimes bright/contrast and USM.

That I can do. LAB curves, well, I think I have done good......... look at it the next day and wonder what the H I was thinking, smile.

So when someone says curves I am thinking the old RGB curves now. I don't really know unless they specify.

With my CS, I am loving the shadows/highlight thing, too. On Shem Creek, it has been a life saver. Well worth the $50.00 I paid to get it. I do the curves eyedropper, with a tweak of the curve to lighten it a bit, then go straight to shadows/highlights.

Just my 2 cents on curves. LAB curves freaks me, but so do layers. My layers lock up, and, yes, I did ask about it, went to the directed site, and they still lock up. So I do layers by the book, when they lock up and I can't unlock them, I flatten them, go back do a layer copy and finish up as fast as possible.

ginger
    wxwax wrote:
    Sounds like my love life. naughty.gif Lynn, you really have a handle on some of these photoshop techniques, you're inspiring me to tackle curves. Makes my brain hurt, though.
    Nah... don't look at the numbers... they only confuse.. numbers never made anything beautiful anyway... except may the Golden Mean but THATS another story. Curves is easy... just do iddy biddy ones...
    SID....It just come to me... you need Scot Kelly's Photoshop CS book.. you can get it from Amazon cheap.. I think I paid like $5 for mine.. its SOOOOOO easy to follow...
    andy wrote:
    boosting the iso makes the sensor more sensitive to light. so, in low light, you want to boost the iso to maintain a given shutter speed / aperture combination.

the reason they are not so noisy anymore at iso 1600 is that canon has really improved their technology clap.gif
    Thanks Andy, makes poifect sense... another little bit of wisdom under me belt..thumb.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    Well, I am not dumb either, I am just going to listen here. (Maybe Shem Creek is just obstinate.) No, I did not say that thing in the parentheses, I know it all, I printed out everything from andy last night.

Just gonna lay low.............didn't brer rabbit say something about layin' low.

g
    Andy which curves, LAB or RGB
    do you use? I just gotta ask. Am on my way to the briar patch, funnest place, great photo ops...........

g
    ginger_55 wrote:
    do you use? I just gotta ask. Am on my way to the briar patch, funnest place, great photo ops...........

g

mostly rgb