Bald Eagle - Jan 21

CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Wildlife
Well, that $50 hunting blind paid for itself in it's first outing! Instead of shooting these birds at 300+ feet, I think I was about 75 ft away from this one! :D

It was only around 830am, so the light wasn't as strong as I would've liked and at 400mm f5.6 the fastest shutter speed I could muster was 1/640 so it's not a sharp throughout, but I'm pleased!

Thanks,
Jack

53336558-L.jpg
Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Wow ! Thats terrific jack. Great exposure also.

You guys have a lot of australian trees over there headscratch.gif Are they for pulp or timber ?
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Jack that is a shot to be proud of!!!! Fantasticthumb.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Outstanding Capture Jack. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    thumb.gifthumb.gif Well done. Maybe I'll get me one of them there blind blinds. :uhoh :D I'm going to have to find a blind eagle to shoot ........the way I'm going. Any of our B.O.P. see me long before I see them. They are camera shy for sure.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Wow ! Thats terrific jack. Great exposure also.

You guys have a lot of australian trees over there headscratch.gif Are they for pulp or timber ?

Hey Gus, thanks! I'm not sure what those trees are used for - other than bird perches. ne_nau.gif

Jack
    Jack

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I imagine that you are pleased, that is gorgeous!

Now, where did you get what 50.00 blind?????

I would be interested. Though putting it in the middle of a road might look strange, but seriously for 50.00...............did you make it?

ginger

That is one very good photo!!!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    incredible photo Jackthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited January 25, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I imagine that you are pleased, that is gorgeous!

Now, where did you get what 50.00 blind?????

I would be interested. Though putting it in the middle of a road might look strange, but seriously for 50.00...............did you make it?

ginger

That is one very good photo!!!

It's a neat little pop-up blind about 60" square footprint and 68" tall. The thing is sort of "spring loaded" like my solar visor for my car - just a bit bigger so stand back when you release it. :D

I got it at Sportsmanguide for $49.95! You can read more about it there or feel free to ask if you have any questions.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=145626

53915272-L.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the hunter in the picture is looking out what I call the door. This opening goes from 10 o'clock to about 7 o'clock - double zippered and no screen. There are three "windows" one on each of the other three sides, that open from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock - also double zippered and no screen. In the middle of each of those windows, is about a 10-12" port which you can barely make out in the picture. These are also double-zippered and do have a camo mesh screen that's velcroed so you can easily adjust how much visibility. I had placed the camera on a tripod through one of the larger windows and with the double-zipper only the lens hood was poking out a bit. I used the smaller ports with the mesh screens to keep an eye on the branch (a known perch) and also used the ports on the other side of the blind to view my surroundings in case I could see him flying toward the branch. I hope this makes sense?

And thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm heading back up there again this Saturday... it's sort of like that Kingfisher Fever some of you have... very dangerous and contagious! rolleyes1.gif

Jack
    Jack

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I think
    if it were sharp throughout, then you'd lose the feel of movement. I love the position of the wings as well as the sharpness of the beak down to those awesome talons. (I've been here to look twice, I love it!)
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • nightowl66nightowl66 Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    eagle
    wow Beautiful
    edited January 25, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    if it were sharp throughout, then you'd lose the feel of movement. I love the position of the wings as well as the sharpness of the beak down to those awesome talons. (I've been here to look twice, I love it!)

Thanks, Tessa! This one's my favorite of the series too - and for the same reasons you mentioned. If you want to see more of those, you can look at my gallery here

http://www.jackfbuchanan.com/gallery/477163/1/53335513

I'm not sure why they're out of sequence other than the EXIF says several where shot at the exact same date/time - maybe camera makers should think about adding a 1/10th of a second position to the time?

Jack
    Jack

• MattGoinsMattGoins Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I echo the thoughts of every poster here, fabulous and stunning shot.
  • dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    That is just so beautiful. Excellent captureclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Excellent Capture Jack thumb.gif

Makes me want to drive to Fresno!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Makes me want to drive to Fresno!
    Heck, this time of year, doesn't even take a gorgeous eagle shot to make me want to do that! lol3.gif

very, very nice grab. Hoping to see more from that magic blind of yours! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    WOW ! great exposure, details - everything is just perfect about the shotclap.gif