Mind Your Dental Hygiene, Guys!

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited January 27, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hello guys!
Had one of thouse extremely boring "nothing-to-do-what-so-ever-day" back at HS (Huddinge Hospital) I work as a personal assistant and the guy I work for is hospitalized since a few weeks and he is in bed all the time. The nurses take good care of him and there's not much I can do other than being social (the few minutes a day he's awake).
So, in order to kill some time - what did I do? Quite naturally, I slunk into the bathroom in his ward armed with my 10D, Sigma 70-300 f4.0-f5.6 DG Macro, Remote Switch Canon RS-80N3 and a little stool. I squeezed out some lovely blue/red/white streaky toothpaste on the toilet lid, put the cam on the stool, hit the Macro-mode on my lens and snapped a "Toothpaste" picture. Really, what els could I do? You would have done the same! :D

Stay Tuned / Matty

300 mm (macro mode), 1/25s, f5.6, ISO 400, +1 EV, ambient light

53892286-O.jpg

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    lol3.gif i've had my fair share of days like that....

very nice photo. i like the exposure on it, but please. *personal preference* but i say away from any automatic modes (macro, sports, portrait, landscape, etc...)

personal preference....

but it worked with thisthumb.gif

studio quality, *for a bathroom*:D
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Thanx Daniel! Boredom can be a great sorce to creativity! :): I shot this in Aparture mode. Have never used the "macro, sports, portrait, landscape, etc" programes.

Matty

DanielB wrote:
    lol3.gif i've had my fair share of days like that....

very nice photo. i like the exposure on it, but please. *personal preference* but i say away from any automatic modes (macro, sports, portrait, landscape, etc...)

personal preference....

but it worked with thisthumb.gif

studio quality, *for a bathroom*:D
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Haha! You are welcome, Molsondog! And thank you! Glad ya liked it! :): thumb.gif
    Molsondog wrote:
    Thank you. I needed a really great "life is simple" image after a long day at work. This is terrific.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I like it a lot. Whatever you did to make the colors pop works really well. The white on white is also nicely handled. I might be tempted to crop if differently, but that's just me. What a fun and colorful shot, it looks really good. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    :

Hey, Daniel..

Matty's talking about the lens, not the camera. His lens, the Sigma 70-300 f4.0-f5.6 DG Macro, has a "macro mode" on it deal.gif
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    i said this once before in a post to you, but i want to say it again!
    what ever you do always is great!

troy
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    No I couldn't!
    elfving73 wrote:
    You would have done the same! :D

53892286-Th.jpg

I don't have any great striped toothpaste like that! Or such a plain nice white tube! Or a nice semi-reflective surface like that....

So no, I couldn't do the same -- :):

That's a GREAT shot! I love it!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 25, 2006
    wonderful shot! gives new meaning to "visiting the bathroom"

here in LA, a pro would charge $3000 for that shot... set up his studio, lights, softboxes, an assistant, a toothpaste wrangler, maybe a food stylist..... rolleyes1.gif

I hope you washed your hands when you were done! lol3.gif
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hey, Daniel..

Matty's talking about the lens, not the camera. His lens, the Sigma 70-300 f4.0-f5.6 DG Macro, has a "macro mode" on it deal.gif

just re-read that and saw it 11doh.gif

:D my bad
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Cool Shot!
    elfving73 wrote:
    Hello guys!
    Had one of thouse extremely boring "nothing-to-do-what-so-ever-day" back at HS (Huddinge Hospital) I work as a personal assistant and the guy I work for is hospitalized since a few weeks and he is in bed all the time. The nurses take good care of him and there's not much I can do other than being social (the few minutes a day he's awake).
    So, in order to kill some time - what did I do? Quite naturally, I slunk into the bathroom in his ward armed with my 10D, Sigma 70-300 f4.0-f5.6 DG Macro, Remote Switch Canon RS-80N3 and a little stool. I squeezed out some lovely blue/red/white streaky toothpaste on the toilet lid, put the cam on the stool, hit the Macro-mode on my lens and snapped a "Toothpaste" picture. Really, what els could I do? You would have done the same! :D

Stay Tuned / Matty

300 mm (macro mode), 1/25s, f5.6, ISO 400, +1 EV, ambient light

Gawwwwwwd now that brings back memories....... we used to fight over the stripped toothpaste when we were kids, and it was considered uncool to squish all the colours together, they should come out in straight lines so we figured hehehe rolleyes1.gif well executed Matty, very very nicely done indeed....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    I admire your style and talent........and your guts.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Gawwwwwwd now that brings back memories....... we used to fight over the stripped toothpaste when we were kids, and it was considered uncool to squish all the colours together, they should come out in straight lines so we figured hehehe rolleyes1.gif well executed Matty, very very nicely done indeed....... Skippy (Australia)

Well of course it had to come out in straight lines! I mean after all, the commercials always have it being a nice big tube on top of the toothbrush with every color and swirl perfectly defined! And we all know that anything in a commercial must be true! Lol, anyway, great shot! I'm curious though, what exactly is the Macro mode on most cameras? I have a P&S, and to shoot small objects up close I think I have to do that mode, unless there is something in the camera's manuel settings that I can change?
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Cool
    I really like this shot: the white on white, the vivid colors of the tooth paste (were those enhanced in pp?), the subtle reflection, everything. Also, what I thought was interesting, was that it seemed the reflection actually stood out a bit more in the smaller version in Dee's post and really brought out the symmetry of the reflection.

Nice job Mattythumb.gif
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • TheCowGodTheCowGod Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Wow, awesome shot. I love when impromptu photo shoots like that turn out so well. Nicely done.