Options

Rare And Beautiful

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

A 1937 Talbot-Lago T150C SS. This car is a stunning example of the visually exciting cars the French auto industry turned out in the 1930's.

1 )

2 )

3 )

A 1947 Delahaye 135 MS. I would have given anything to have this car all to myself for a while....no crowds around. It ranks real high on my list of the most beautiful cars ever made. It is exceptionally well proportioned. It's just striking.

4 )

5 )

6 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow on both! Amazing work they did back then! Captured well Tom!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow on both! Amazing work they did back then! Captured well Tom!

Thanks, Taz. It's just sad that cars with visual character and design gusto can't make it to the market now. Even with government regulations being as prohibitive as they are, with a real mania on their part to control function, that still leaves the form part of the equation some legroom to express individuality. I guess the marketing departments are telling their companies that it is far safer to stay with the herd.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

Amazing vehicles captured beautifully. Great job Tom.
    I can see myself in the Talbot-Lago!

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator

That bottom chrome trim on the Talbot is an unusual and striking part of that design. What is that slot for right behind the door? Both cars look like incredible autos.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@Cavalier said:
    Amazing vehicles captured beautifully. Great job Tom.
    I can see myself in the Talbot-Lago!

Thanks, Jo. I've often wondered what it was like to drive cars of this period....particularly some of these stunning French creations. I think the excitement of doing so would far outweigh the lack of creature comforts we are used to now.

• Options

@David_S85 said:
    That bottom chrome trim on the Talbot is an unusual and striking part of that design. What is that slot for right behind the door? Both cars look like incredible autos.

Thanks for the visit, David. That slot you refer to is part of an early turn-signal system. The driver would actuate a lever and, depending on which way he was going to turn, a paddle would pop out of the slot on the appropriate side, indicating he was making a turn in that direction.

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

The Delahaye is very cool, Tom, suicide doors and all.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Wonderful set Tom...

Beautiful lines...artistic engineering at its best!

Totally personal, the Talbot-Lago, I'd order mine in solid black. Ah yes, visions of zipping along the A6 out of Paris, to dinner in Lyon in this beauty!

• Options

@willard3 said:
    The Delahaye is very cool, Tom, suicide doors and all.

Hi, Willard. Man, it's hard not to fall prey to the charms of cars like that, isn't it? This show was the only time I've seen a Delahaye of that particular design.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2020

@El Gato said:
    Wonderful set Tom...

Beautiful lines...artistic engineering at its best!

Totally personal, the Talbot-Lago, I'd order mine in solid black. Ah yes, visions of zipping along the A6 out of Paris, to dinner in Lyon in this beauty!

I could quickly buy into that scenario, my friend. What's for dinner tonight?