Options

A bit of wild Florida

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 19, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Some cypress trees along the banks of the St. Johns River a little south of Jacksonville.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Halloween is early this year?

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

That... that just looks alien. And nightmareish. I love it!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Halloween is early this year?

Dang! I must have been holding the calendar upside down.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@David_S85 said:
    That... that just looks alien. And nightmareish. I love it!

I tell you, David, you pull into a dark cove with a stand of cypress trees like this, consumed by moss, it does get a little spooky.

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Spooky is right...

I rode & floated thru the Honey Island swamp in Louisiana; Tom is right it can get spooky...

That moss is interesting... it grows in air & they used to use it in car seats in the 30's...

Interesting treatment Tom...

Rags
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2020

@torags said:
    Spooky is right...

I rode & floated thru the Honey Island swamp in Louisiana; Tom is right it can get spooky...

That moss is interesting... it grows in air & they used to use it in car seats in the 30's...

Interesting treatment Tom...

Thanks for commenting, Rags. I stepped out a little on the treatment to emphasize the eerie feeling I was getting from the scene.

For those not used to moss, you'd be well advised to leave that stuff alone. As a youngster on a camping trip, I made a nice fluffy, comfy bed out of it. I had not learned yet the folly of such a move. Those little devil red bugs make moss their preferred home. And there is nothing, nothing that can cause you more scratching misery than to have a mess of those creatures burrowed under your skin. The intensity of the itching is indescribable. A dab of fingernail polish over the affected site is often used as a treatment. It's said to deprive the little SOBs of oxygen and they die. The moss sold for floral decorations has been treated. In any event, it's best to just avoid moss.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Interesting shot. Black and white is inherently more abstract and permits greater liberties.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

I like this a lot, at first glance I thought it was IR, but apparently not, right?

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    Interesting shot. Black and white is inherently more abstract and permits greater liberties.

I agree with that, Don. I do very little B&W work, mainly because, to be good at it, I need to be more tuned in to the different nuances between B&W and color work.....mostly, to me, in PP. Since I've focused on B&W a little more lately, I've become more aware that it can be the preferred ( and sometimes only ) process in getting your image to tell the story you want it to. This image here is proof positive of that. Despite all of my efforts, I couldn't get a color version to convey the image that I was seeing in my mind.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I understand. I love color but there are times when color drowns out everything else. There's no reason to be a purist either way.

I took an online course in B&W three years back. It was mostly a Photoshop course but it helped a lot. It also improved my color work. You might want to consider something like that.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2020

@Juano said:
    I like this a lot, at first glance I thought it was IR, but apparently not, right?

I'm pleased that you like it. No, it's not IR, but I sure can see it looks like it could be.

The bark ( I'll call it that but it's more like a skin with grooves that run vertically up and down the trunk ) on the cypress trees have, naturally, a very pronounced bleached-out appearance. In this case, they were darn near white to start with. So I didn't have to fiddle with things too much to get an image that is certainly enhanced somewhat but not near as much as someone would suppose. Take care, buddy.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

As a lover of B&W, this image is wonderful! Nice work!

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

As a lover of B&W, this image is wonderful! Nice work!

Well, Gato, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments. It means a great deal to me