Options

Flash Brackets?

spinningstillspinningstill Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins

Looking to see if photographers still use these. Have worked with a well established pro and he did not. What is the opinion on here. I don't have one and am considering one since I like flash. Mostly for on the go event photos. Have a 5D3 with 600 and RT. Open to input.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited September 7, 2021

Déjà vu?

More often I use a DIY "scoop" modifier on the flash which allows rotating the flash head 90 degrees.

Occasionally, I still have a couple of flip-brackets that I use with a wireless trigger system (or flash cord), if I absolutely need to have the flash directly(ish) above the lens.

DIY Scoop modifier:

Stroboframe Pro-T Flash Bracket (flip bracket)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Richard_2008Richard_2008 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    I think a light stand or a tripod are more convenient. Since you couldn't control the position of the flash very easily.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited October 28, 2021

@Richard_2008 said:
    I think a light stand or a tripod are more convenient. Since you couldn't control the position of the flash very easily.

I use light stands for formals, but for events where you are moving around a lot light stands are pretty slow to move. For events like wedding receptions, stands only make sense when the action is contained in a smaller area.

For instance, I covered a large wedding reception outdoors, but only used monolights on stands inside a european-style tent, when the wedding party gave their speeches. Otherwise, I used speedlights/speedlites on the cameras with scoop modifiers, and with ambient light as fill or fill-flash when sunlight was available.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums