Mini Challenge #303: "Devices indicating the time, or the passage of time"

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
edited August 2, 2020 in The Dgrin Challenges

This mini will feature "Devices indicating the time, or the passage of time". The first things that come to mind are clocks, watches, stopwatches, sun dials, metronomes but there's probably some that I overlooked. It can both be a close-up of the device or a much wider view to show it in its context.

Here's a few examples from my collection to warm you up, but don't let these restrict your creativity to show something entirely different.

Sun dial

Clock

Modern sun dial

Good luck, happy shooting and this mini will stay open until Wednesday August 19, 2020, midnight, NWE time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used, but for this challenge new photo's are strongly encouraged.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

Great idea

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Good thinking Pieter! Here are my 3..

1 Time marches on (my dad's pocket watch and Korean War medallion that actually was a left over from WWII)

2 Worn Clock (found in Rome Italy off the Piazza del Popolo)

3 Big Ben (of course we have to acknowledge one of the most famous clocks)

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2020

I don't have many shots that fit the theme, but I'll try these.

1) This may be a stretch, but this is the Sundial Bridge in Redding, Ca. It's a walking bridge and it's even prettier at night when all lit up.

2) Train Station Master checking his watch.

3) Mariposa mural with Oldest Courthouse still-in-use in California depicted on the right with it's clock tower. (This was a mural on a building wall in Mariposa - until the entire block burned down in May of 2012 - 7 buildings were destroyed.)

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2020

I am entering the three clocks that I think have the most interesting stories

1. Bromo-Seltzer Tower Clock

Acetaminophen, sodium bicarbonate, and citric acid is a combination taken to relieve pain caused by heartburn, sour stomach, or acid indigestion. The acetaminophen is a pain reliever. The sodium bicarbonate is an antacid to neutralize stomach acid by combining with it to form a new substance that is not an acid. This medicine called Bromo Seltzer is available without a prescription.

Captain Isaac Emerson, the inventor of Bromo-Seltzer had this tower built at 312-318 West Lombard St. and South Paca St. next to his factory. The factory no longer exists. Modeled after the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy the Bromo Seltzer tower has been a Baltimore landmark since 1911, although there are other buildings on the skyline that overshadow it now. I don't remember it, but the tower was originally topped with a 51-foot revolving replica of the blue Bromo-Seltzer bottle, which was illuminated by 596 lights and could be seen from 20 miles away. The bottle had to be removed in 1936 (before my time) due to structural concerns. The four clock faces are all still working and the face displays the word BROMO-SELTZER instead of numbers.

1. Clock in St. Mark's square

This was built in 1499. It was designed by Mauro Codussi, and decorated with an astronomic clock that shows the hour, the moon phases and zodiac signs. At the top of the tower, once an hour the bronze statues of two huge shepherds or moors strike the bell. The figures are sometimes referred to as Moors because of the dark color of the bronze patina.At Epiphany and the Ascension (just twice a year) the procession of the statues of the three Kings led by an angel appears. The Magi's carousel; the three Kings, preceded by an Angel blowing a trumpet, passed in front of the gilded bronze Madonna with Child. Originally, the trumpet actually emitted a sound.

In the 1979 film Moonraker, James Bond is seen throwing Chang (the bad guy) through the glass face of the famous St. Mark's clock and down into a piano below, thus disrupting an opera performance. The real clock was obviously not used. For one thing, face of the real clock consists of revolving metal disks so a glass-fronted studio-based 'clock stunt double' was used.

1. The Clocktower Mall Tide Clock

There are two towers on the Clocktower Mall in Bermuda. Originally the building was the Great Eastern Storehouse which was built in 1856 with 3 foot thick walls. The regular clock on the south tower was cast in England in 1857 by John Moore and Sons.

My photo is of the north tower. What seems to be a single hand clock on the eastern side of the north tower is a rare "tide clock." In Royal Navy days, the hand was set daily to indicate the time of high tide. The towers are still easily identified from a distance, making them an excellent reference point for mariners. The tide clock is no longer set

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks for entering Joyce, Jo and GrandmaR.

For all the others, there's still 5 days to submit your entries, I would like to see a few more :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Finally I had the time to make my final choice. Coincidentally these all happen to be in Italy.

1)Clock tower in the Piazza dei Signori, Padua (Veneto)

2) Parish church in the village of Diano d'Alba (Piemonte)

3) The church steeple of the submerged village of Curon, Lake Resia (Trentino-Alto Adige)

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Time went by so fast, I almost missed this mini too!

1. Parliament of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario

1. Sailor's memorial clock tower, Montreal, Quebec

1. a watch

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited August 19, 2020

I found the time to process some photos I have taken of clocks in Europe, and I am sharing several here. (But please don't consider as entries. Thanks!)

1) Clock tower seen in Lucerne, Switzerland

2) Clock in a city gate in Speyer, Germany

3) Clock in Ghent, Belgium

Adding one more photo of a cathedral in Hawkshead, England. Sharing it (as another non-entry) because I like the way it conveys the passage of time in various ways.

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great theme & some awesome entries!
    The Mantle Clock I grew up with

The Granddaughter Clock my husband built from scratch

The Clock Tower on the San Francisco Ferry Building at night

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

This mini is now closed. Thanks to all that entered. Now it's back to me for comments and judging, so stay tuned :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug