Options

A few mountain " Odds and Ends "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Well, everyone has to have one.

1 )

Tucked back in the woods not too far off of the Blue Ridge Parkway, this was actually an early " hotel " built in the early 1800's for travelers needing a place to sleep and eat.

2 )

I've mentioned before the huge Moses Cone Estate near Blowing Rock, N.C. This is the Manor House to the estate....which is now operated by the State.

3 )

Once a common sight....not any more.

4 )

Remember these.

5 )

A treasure cove of goodies tucked way back in a hollow. Their operation is extensive with the bulk of it out of view to the left. During the Summer, they have, on site, some of the best bluegrass music bands put on some great shows.

6 )

OK, OK. Let me sneak in one little rust shot. This is a lonely sign stuck on the side of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

7 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely set Tom! I think I recall some of these. Or maybe I am misremembering.......?

• Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Thanks, Been to Blowing Rock and the big house. Great views from there.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options

Thanks, Taz. I've shot that hubcap site ( along with one other similar site ) every time I've been near it. No doubt you've seen a prior posting of one or the other of those scenes. Same for the rust shot. This time I wanted the " ghost " tractor to be more prominent. Unfortunately, the bottom of the sign has been damaged a lot from when I first shot it. Stay safe, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@OrvSal said:

Hi, Orv. That lake you can see from the home when visiting there, looking down at the bottom of the mountain, is Bass Lake. Some of my favorite fall-color shots have been taken around that lake.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Nice work Tom!

• Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@OrvSal said:

Hi, Orv. That lake you can see from the home when visiting there, looking down at the bottom of the mountain, is Bass Lake. Some of my favorite fall-color shots have been taken around that lake.

I believe that lake was man made just for the owner. It was 30 degrees when we were there so did not stay too long.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options

@Juano said:
    Nice work Tom!

Thanks, Cristóbal. I hope you're doing well.

• Options

Orv....

I wouldn't doubt that the lake was made by Moses Cone himself. His hobby was building roads and he moved earth all over that expansive estate. When you look out over the land from the manor house, you're seeing just a small portion of the original estate. There are roads and trails that stretch all over the place. I hope you're enjoying living in Georgia.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nice collection, Tom. The BW treatment for the hubcaps was a good choice. And it's been a long time since I had a Rust fix!

Cheers, my friend -- Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

Goodness, Lauren, where have you been, child? I've been hoping that you would grace us with your presence a little more often. A lot of folks here have never been treated to your abstract creations or to your excellent landscape work.

BTW.....if you need a rust fix, don't get too far away. I'm working on a monumental avalanche of the stuff. You might even call it a rust tsunami. Take care, Lady.

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Lovely ghost sign, Tom

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options

@willard3 said:
    Lovely ghost sign, Tom

Many thanks, my friend. I hope you're staying safe.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Great work Tom...

capturing a bit of Americana, hidden away to most folks.

Love #1, a room with a view. I see #4 is BW....you'll come around. 😁

Great set!!

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Great work Tom...

capturing a bit of Americana, hidden away to most folks.

Love #1, a room with a view. I see #4 is BW....you'll come around. 😁

Great set!!

Many thanks for your support, Gato. You and Taz are largely responsible for my awakening to the dynamics of B&W photography.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Goodness, Lauren, where have you been, child? I've been hoping that you would grace us with your presence a little more often. A lot of folks here have never been treated to your abstract creations or to your excellent landscape work.

BTW.....if you need a rust fix, don't get too far away. I'm working on a monumental avalanche of the stuff. You might even call it a rust tsunami. Take care, Lady.

Thanks for the kind words, Tom. I figured I'd best make an appearance before you sent out the cavalry! I am working on a few recent shots from Maine so be watching. :smile:

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com