Options

Rust elixir and rocks

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

I was kicking around on top of Cadillac Mountain near Bar Harbor, Maine. The whole mountain is made up of pink granite. I saw some really large stones with lichen and other fungus-looking stuff all over them. I thought it might be neat to sprinkle a little rust elixir on the stones. After that experience I had with the elixir on that old coquina wall in St. Augustine, I didn't know what to expect.

Here are the results.

1 )

2 )

3 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Pretty cool Tom! I like the first one the best.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful texture and colors! I like #3 best!

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited August 25, 2020

Rust Elixir is the best stuff, isn't it? I carry a medium size box of it with me when I'm out on road trips. You never know when you're going to need it to help good images become great images. You used it well here. Been up to Cadillac at least four times now, and you made it glow better than I ever did, plus it looks like you got good morning or evening light coming in to boot. I forgot the elixir when in St. Augustine a couple years back, so my images of the wall and everything else on St. George Street were just average.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@Juano said:
    Pretty cool Tom! I like the first one the best.

Thanks, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Wonderful texture and colors! I like #3 best!

Thanks, Taz. You never know what that elixir will do when you start slinging it around.

• Options

@David_S85 said:
    Rust Elixir is the best stuff, isn't it? I carry a medium size box of it with me when I'm out on road trips. You never know when you're going to need it to help good images become great images. You used it well here. Been up to Cadillac at least four times now, and you made it glow better than I ever did, plus it looks like you got good morning or evening light coming in to boot. I forgot the elixir when in St. Augustine a couple years back, so my images of the wall and everything else on St. George Street were just average.

Boy, David, you're dead right. I never hit the road without a generous supply of the elixir on me. Talk about good light, I spent about 3 weeks on a road trip through New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine and I don't think I saw more than two clouds the whole time.....except for a brief spell on top of Mt. Washington. In fact, there were a few times ......like when shooting the coastline of Maine.....that I would have appreciated a bit more raw weather to accentuate the drama of the scene. Thanks for looking in.

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice colors, Tom.

Rust elixir, you say: I picture you as a warlock sprinkling it around.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Great collection! Can't pick a favorite. Don't know if I have any elixir around here--you may have to send me some

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

@willard3 said:
    Nice colors, Tom.

Rust elixir, you say: I picture you as a warlock sprinkling it around.

Thanks, Willard. I can tell you this much: when I start slinging that stuff around, folks head for the hills. Nobody wants to get it on themselves.

• Options

@redleash said:
    Great collection! Can't pick a favorite. Don't know if I have any elixir around here--you may have to send me some

I don't know, Lauren. They've cracked down on me shipping that stuff. People are known to do strange things when they come in contact with it. I thought that I had become impervious to it's effects but Darlene says that she has noticed quite a stager in my walk lately. B)

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Do you have to chant something when you apply the elixir?

These are very good, Tom. The colors in the third are a little too close to a psychedelic album cover to me. I think the first two are terrific. I've photographed lichens on granite without much success--yours are way better.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2020

@Cornflake said:
    Do you have to chant something when you apply the elixir?

These are very good, Tom. The colors in the third are a little too close to a psychedelic album cover to me. I think the first two are terrific. I've photographed lichens on granite without much success--yours are way better.

Thanks, Don. You ask a very good question. I used to incorporate a little chanting into my elixir sprinkling episodes. I had to drop the chanting.....too many folks that were witnessing the process were passing out on me. Bad for business.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

I'll add to what everyone else has said...very well done!!

I like #3...kinda, sorta, reminds me of some college days (daze) spent in Amsterdam during a study abroad semester.

Always love a photo which brings back memories!

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

I'll add to what everyone else has said...very well done!!

I like #3...kinda, sorta, reminds me of some college days (daze) spent in Amsterdam during a study abroad semester.

Always love a photo which brings back memories!

Ahhhh, I think I remember the memories I'm supposed to remember, but I can't remember if that's right.