How to create posters?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Finishing School
I am looking for some way to take a single picture that I have, and enlarge it into a poster size. A few years back I saw some software that will automatically print an image over several pages, and then show you how to assemble it to create a large poster. Anyone know of any software for doing this or any way to do this? Thanks!

L8er
Rhuarc

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I am looking for some way to take a single picture that I have, and enlarge it into a poster size. A few years back I saw some software that will automatically print an image over several pages, and then show you how to assemble it to create a large poster. Anyone know of any software for doing this or any way to do this? Thanks!

L8er
    Rhuarc

Where and how do you plan on printing it? What size is the source image? What's your desired size result?
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Oh, lol, sorry bout that. I'm planning on printing it on m Canon 6000D. The software that I had seen was specifically designed for taking an image from say a digital camera, putting it into this software, it would split the pic up into however many 8.5x11 pages you wanted and printing them. The source is going to be pictures from my 6MP digital camera.

If there is anything else that can help let me know!
    edited January 26, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Oh, lol, sorry bout that. I'm planning on printing it on m Canon 6000D. The software that I had seen was specifically designed for taking an image from say a digital camera, putting it into this software, it would split the pic up into however many 8.5x11 pages you wanted and printing them. The source is going to be pictures from my 6MP digital camera.

If there is anything else that can help let me know!

I've heard of that but never done it.
    Is there a reason you're not printing it on a commercial printer at full size you want?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    http://www.postersw.com/ poster software $18

posterworks $495

googled for these-have no idea how good either works-

I guess if you're not doing a huge poster and/or you're not doing too many you could overlay with show grid and crop each section and print?--have a little overlay on each section--

please let us know what you end up doing--I'm curious--

george
    edited January 26, 2006
    Is there a reason you're not printing it on a commercial printer at full size you want?

Yeah, lol, one because I don't have a commercial printer and both no access to one, plus no money to go get it done! Plus, I'm just doing it for my own curiosity and fun, not for anything professional. I'll check out those software packages and see what they are. I'll elt you guys know what I end up doing and maybe post a photo or two of the final result!
    edited January 26, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Yeah, lol, one because I don't have a commercial printer and both no access to one, plus no money to go get it done! Plus, I'm just doing it for my own curiosity and fun, not for anything professional. I'll check out those software packages and see what they are. I'll elt you guys know what I end up doing and maybe post a photo or two of the final result!

You might look into www.bigposters.com - I've used them and they do great work - surprisingly affordable!
    edited January 26, 2006
    Well, I found what I was looking for, thanks to gefillmore! I ran the search on google that you said you did, and I came up with one more. Posterworks

I think it is a different Posterworks than the one you found, but i don't know. I started with just a 2x2 poster to test the program out (4 pages total) Here are a few pictures and a screenshot of the software.

This is the picture that I wanted to blow up. EXIF for those who care. This was taken with my Dimage G600 point & shoot.
    53868618-L.jpg

This is a screenshot of the software.
    Software.jpg

This is the top left sheet after printing.
    FlowerPic-4.jpg

This is the final assembled poster. I trimmed the edges off of the other three pages and glued them onto the top left page.
    FlowerPic-1.jpg

Here is a closeup of the final poster.
    FlowerPic-2.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. THe software allows you to do up to 20x20!! I'm going to try a much bigger one (maybe 5x5) but before I do that I'm going to buy a paper cutter! :D

Oh yeah, one more thing. THe trial version is FULLY functional, you jsut have to wait for a 20 second splash screen to go away before you can use it!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Your canon printer driver has a somewhat similar function: you can configure it to print poster sizes:

53989485-M.jpg
    edited January 26, 2006
    Wow, lol, all that work and then I find that out! Although I just checked and the Canon software only goes up to a 4x4, the Posterowrks goes all the way to 20x20. Thanks for the info though!
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    This may be the thing you are looking for
    I thought it had a different name but here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONVERT-BIG-MEMORY-POSTERS-MURALS-CRAFTS-SCRAPBOOKING_W0QQitemZ7214606149QQcategoryZ51344QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me