Options

Inside a birdcage

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited September 13, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Maserati is a storied Italian name in international racing. However, in 1960, the company was on the verge of bankruptcy. In an effort to survive against competition, they introduced this car.....a 1960 Maserati Tipo 61. It was a radical departure for them. They went with a high performance four cylinder engine, as opposed to the large V-8 engines they had been using. At the same time, though, they stuffed the engine in an exceptionally light body. All the small diameter tubing you see running all over the place actually constitutes the chassis of the car. The automotive press at the time, because of the unusual tubular framing, dubbed this car the " birdcage ". It was moderately successful on the track. I really wanted a shot of the car with the hood down but I never had the chance. Many in the car circles consider this car to be one of the most beautiful racers ever designed. It's exceptionally rare and an example like this one would sell for 3 to4 million dollars.

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet set and knowledge Tom!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Sweet set and knowledge Tom!

Thanks, Taz. Stay safe out there, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice set of a very cool car, Tom.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Excellent portrayal Tom... pics n' story...

I believe the brand was saved by Fiat(Chrysler, etc..)

Rags
  • Options

@willard3 said:
    Nice set of a very cool car, Tom.

Thanks. That car is one those that are housed in that private museum here in Jax.

• Options

@torags said:
    Excellent portrayal Tom... pics n' story...

I believe the brand was saved by Fiat(Chrysler, etc..)

Many thanks, Rags.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I wish I'd kept mine from when I was a kid -- we'd all be rich! :D:D

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

@redleash said:
    I wish I'd kept mine from when I was a kid -- we'd all be rich! :D:D

Well, with that gracious display of generosity, I, too, wish you had kept it. On a much, much smaller scale, I've had a few that I sure wish I had today. Take care.