Bees

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Periodically I go on a binge of photographing bees. It poses technical and aesthetic challenges. Plus I like bees. Criticism is always welcome.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I like these! I think my favorite is the eyes-on view in the 2nd photo.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Last one is great Don! It has such wonderful light and bokeh and most importantly the sharp eye is drawing most attention. The colors are wonderful too and better diversity as well.

First two are framed fine and have nice bokeh in back ground........

But for first one, the out of focus body of the bee is prominent and fighting hard with the eye which is NOT sharp enough to win the battle. There are also hot spots on body as well.
    The second one has similar issue.....the flower has the sharpest elements, fly is not sharp.

Cheers Don!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Denise, Taz, thanks for commenting.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I like them, Don. You're dead right about the challenges inherent in this kind of work. There are choices to be made and doing so is not always easy. You can stop the aperture down to get more DOF and greater range of focus, but then the bokeh gets altered. I doubt that there is a perfect balance. Choices again.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Surgical use of bokeh, excellent and well done Don!

Personally, I like #3. A bit more distinction between the subject (bee) and the yellow flower. Enjoyed these very much, thanks for sharing them.

Tom, Gato, thanks for the comments.

"There are choices to be made and doing so is not always easy." It's a matter of taste, Tom, as so many things are .

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Very nice set, my fav is the first one.

Thanks, Cristobal.