Options

Rumor: Canon 2D 22mpx?

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited September 21, 2004 in The Big Picture
There are a lot of rumors flying that Canon will announce the EOS 2D on September 27th and it will have 22mpx.

Below are a couple sites that have the rumor.

Rumor in French here. This page is slow/not loading all the time, probably due to high traffic.

Rumor in German here.

It will be nice to know what it true, if anything. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Medium Format Digital
    patch29 wrote:
    There are a lot of rumors flying that Canon will announce the EOS 2D on September 27th and it will have 22mpx.

At that point why have a medium format camera with a digital back? If true, I think its a great camera idea.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    Hmmm...that sounds like a storage problem out on the field, no? Cards will up super fast methinks.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    it's like owning a bentley ...
    Hmmm...that sounds like a storage problem out on the field, no? Cards will up super fast methinks.

if you have to ask "what's the gas mileage on that thing?" then, you probably aren't going to own one :D

1gb cards are now less than $100 a piece. a $7500 camera and $500 worth of memory cards? not a big deal, eh what?
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    if you have to ask "what's the gas mileage on that thing?" then, you probably aren't going to own one :D

1gb cards are now less than $100 a piece. a $7500 camera and $500 worth of memory cards? not a big deal, eh what?
    I hear ya and you're right. I look at SUV's the same way. $40-60 to fill up a tank once a week? I run my Honda civic for $60 for an entire month thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    All of which means that the 1DmkIII will be 11mp on a full size sensor? :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    I was talking to a sales geek a month ago and he said he was dying for the new top-of-the-line Canon to come out. He said it used 2 side-by-side pixels on the sensor each with different sensitivity ranges to increase the dynamic range of the camera. umph.gif I assumed it was total BS.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    Dynamic Range
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I was talking to a sales geek a month ago and he said he was dying for the new top-of-the-line Canon to come out. He said it used 2 side-by-side pixels on the sensor each with different sensitivity ranges to increase the dynamic range of the camera. umph.gif I assumed it was total BS.

It might have been, who knows. But the idea could work. The pixel with more sensitivity would be easily blown out by moderate to bright light and the camera would ignore that sensor and use the "normal" sensor instead for that pixel. But when the normal pixel had little light on it, the more sensitive sensor would no longer be blown out and would provide a usuable reading. The normal sensor, however, would have a reading too close to 0 to be useful. The camera would then use the other sensor for that pixel. Hence, more dynamic range.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DJ-S1 wrote:

That sounds a lot like what Fuji has been working on. The S3 was supposed to come out and has not shown up yet. ne_nau.gif I would be interested to see if Canon does something similar.
  • Options
    This is what I found on the Fuji S3. They are also supposed to use it in some other cameras.
    Fujifilm has today announced the all new SuperCCD SR based FinePix S3 Pro. The S3 Pro appears to be still based on the N80 (F80) body but is now much rounder and compact in appearance as well as including a vertical hand grip. The S3 Pro has a 6mp + 6mp SuperCCD SR sensor with the same output image sizes as the S2 Pro (12 megapixel maximum) but (as we hope) with higher dynamic range as each pixel location has two photodiodes, one which has normal sensitivity and one with lower sensitivity for capturing the highlight detail. Ever since Fujifilm announced the SuperCCD SR design we've been waiting for the moment they'd introduce it into a digital SLR, well here it is. At this stage there are no detailed specifications available, although we have produced a 'what we know so far' list.

Source
  • Options
    Guess I owe the sales geek an apology! lol3.gif

I wonder how the choice of which pixel to use is made (prolly like Merc said) and if you can have some say about that in post, similar to what you can do with RAW.
  • Options
    Just looked a Patch's link, and found a similar article about the Fuji S20. Here's part:
    With 6.2 million effective pixels (3.1 million S-pixels + 3.1 million R-pixels*), delivering 6.03 million recorded pixels, the camera’s excellence is built on more than just pixel power. The FinePix S20 Pro’s SR technology revolves around the use of paired photodiodes in place of a solitary pixel. These paired photodiodes combine to capture tonal detail missed by conventional single-pixel CCDs, particularly in low-light and high contrast scenes. The result is a camera that produces outstanding dynamic range, greater sensitivity and class-leading signal to noise ratio.

Furthermore, the FinePix S20 Pro’s CCD RAW mode offers photographers the chance to save full image data uncompressed, guaranteeing every element of the captured file is ready for careful out-of-camera manipulation. The camera is also supplied with Hyper Utility HS-V2, a new software tool that enables the user to fine-tune aspects of an image such as sharpness, colour balance, and crucially, the full extent of the camera’s impressive dynamic range.
    and more...
    Fujifilm's Super CCD SR provides a truer representation of the subject, retaining highlight detail and offering a four-fold increase in dynamic range. By using the innovative layout of paired photodiodes, the technology enables confident shooting in both bright and cloudy conditions, combats the bleached-out effect created by flash photography and increases exposure latitude - a great advantage in difficult lighting conditions
    The page is here.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2004
    Newest rumor looks to be 1Ds mkII with 16.7mpx.

Here is the link, can anyone read any of it? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    That's a lot of megapixels. I think we're going to need a bigger memory card. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    That's a lot of megapixels. I think we're going to need a bigger memory card. naughty.gif

We will at least need more $$$$$$ to afford the camera and memory. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2004
    It is now real, the 1Ds mkII, more info here at dpreview.

16.7mpx.