Options

Mt. Washington Cog Railway

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 10, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Mt Washington is in N.H. There's a cog train traveling from the base of the mountain to the top. About a three mile ride to the top at about 6300 feet in elevation at the summit. Going up, the train travels at about 2 1/2 MPH , going down it goes about 4 1/2 MPH. It travels on grade angles ranging from 24% to 38%. My wife took one look at the train as it was descending....." I'm not getting on that thing " OK, we'll drive. HUMPH. She was white-knuckled the entire ride up. Having to accommodate a car going in the opposite direction on that road will cause some serious puckering....I was not immune to it.

This train is about to reach the top where it will change passengers.....up for down.

This is another of the trains in the loading zone. The yellow engine in front serves the needs of the huge scientific operations that go on at the top.

Going down, you can opt for an open-air ride at the back.

I have to confess. I thought my wife was going to bail on me driving down. If they had a train leaving when we wanted to.....She'd have been on it.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

What a cool spot Tom! I think I have seen your captures from this spot before! This is just as enjoyable as previous spot!

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice set, Tom.
    If you ride outside, you risk flying embers from the steam engine.
    You can tell your wife that this has been running for many years. It's one of the safest railroads in the world.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options

@Stumblebum said:
    What a cool spot Tom! I think I have seen your captures from this spot before! This is just as enjoyable as previous spot.

You're a sharp-eyed guy, Taz I have a good friend that lives near Mt. Washington. He was at a party and wanted to show some folks these shots. I re-posted these shots for them but added additional verbiage for their benefit. I'm up deep in the Appalachians right now.....be up here through Oct. I've got some really interesting stuff already.....going to get a lot more. Stay safe, brother.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2020

@willard3 said:
    Nice set, Tom.
    If you ride outside, you risk flying embers from the steam engine.
    You can tell your wife that this has been running for many years. It's one of the safest railroads in the world.

I think they still run a steam engine. These engines shown use another propulsion system. I'm not kidding you, buddy, had a train been leaving to go down when we had to leave, my wife would have been the first to board it. Every time I looked at her as we drove down, she had her eyes shut. In her defense, she is one gutsy gal....has hung with me through all kinds of stuff. I, myself, might have tried the eyes-shut routine, save for the consequences.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

Great backstory and pics. I've driven up Pikes Peak, and before they paved it all the way up. It wasn't the kind of road one would want to test speed limits on. Driving back down was the tougher journey. They also offer the option of a cog railway. I've driven past Mt. Washingto, but next time ,if time allows, I'd like to get up there and compare the experiences. One thing I do know -- Pikes has better doughnuts at the top.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

Thanks for the visit, David. I once had a shot at driving up Pikes Peak. I didn't do it and I've always regretted passing on that opportunity.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

These make me want to go there, Tom. I particularly like the background vistas.

That road sounds like one that it's a particularly bad idea to drive drunk on. :)

• Options
    edited October 12, 2020

I don't know, Don. You might be better off being drunk.....less aware of what awaits you if you make a mistake.

One of my best friends used to run the jet propulsion business for General Electric. He tells me of the times they would run experimental engines up on the peak of the mountain. It seems that the high elevation and cold temperatures were important to them in the development process. I asked him about the issue of noise being generated when these tests were going on. Because of overall responsibilities, he was in attendance for only two test sessions but he said that they took measures to mitigate the sounds as best they could but that it could still get pretty damn loud. I've wondered what the folks who live around the base of the mountain thought when all this was going on.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Great images Tom!

A few years back, my wife and I took the train up and then hiked down. Rugged above tree line but, all-in-all a good hike. I enjoyed it!!

My wife eventually lost nine toe nails (boots were too small) and vowed never to let me plan a day hike again. BTW, all toes and associated nails eventually healed and are all good today. Lessons learned regarding proper fitting boots 🥾 (she didn't like me pointing that out either). 😒

Thanks for the images and memories!!

• Options

Gee whiz. I can't imagine hiking down that mountain!!!. If it will temper your wife's feelings, let her know that you two join the ranks of my heroes.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Gee whiz. I can't imagine hiking down that mountain!!!. If it will temper your wife's feelings, let her know that you two join the ranks of my heroes.

🙂 Well, Tom, she has forgiven me but, does not let me forget! Even many mountains and many hikes later.