Seeking Advice

TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Cameras
G'day guys and Gals,

Any and all advice would be appreciated and could avert world war three in my household.

The dilema I have is that I am being asked more and more to take photos for people, these range from sporting events, to birthday partys. I have been requested a couple of times for some landscapes. The latest request is for a wedding shoot (a guy I work with). My current camera is the Canon 350D and held up so far.

My question: I have read a couple of times that for semi-pro work the Canon 20D is a more reliable choice, can anybody tell me why this would be? I have been reading the reviews of both camera and trying to nut this out myself but have only managed to get confused in the process.

What makes the 20D more of a semi pro camera over the 350D?

As for lens's, I have a bead on this and understand what I need to get it is just the camera body I am not sure of. I would like to upgrade to the 20D but just starting out, I need to watch the capital outlay.

Hope this all makes sense and appreciate any assistance you may be able to give.
Cheers
David Clifford

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    TassieD wrote:

What makes the 20D more of a semi pro camera over the 350D?

In the end, not much. You, the photogapher will make the difference. But probably these areas will make a difference, depending:

* shot-to-shot speed of 5fps vs 2.8fps.
    * 23 jpgs on 20D before choking; 14 on the 350D before choking
    * 9pt AF vs 7pt AF

There may be more. The sensors are nearly equal, and the same Digic processor is in both.

Buy some good glass now, and save the body purchase for later in the year deal.gif

Hope this helps!
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    In the end, not much. You, the photogapher will make the difference. But probably these areas will make a difference, depending:

* shot-to-shot speed of 5fps vs 2.8fps.
    * 23 jpgs on 20D before choking; 14 on the 350D before choking
    * 9pt AF vs 7pt AF

There may be more. The sensors are nearly equal, and the same Digic processor is in both.

Buy some good glass now, and save the body purchase for later in the year deal.gif

Hope this helps!

Cheers Andy,

Was starting to think I might just get the better glass as I have been struggling with the body upgrade. Appreciate your input.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Cheers Andy,

Was starting to think I might just get the better glass as I have been struggling with the body upgrade. Appreciate your input.

Just like the memory and taste of Jack Stack's BarBQ Ribs, good glass lasts forever.
    edited January 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Just like the memory and taste of Jack Stack's BarBQ Ribs, good glass lasts forever.

I'll take a family pack thanks Andy. Just creating the list of glass for the shopping list.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    I never had the 350, but I did have the 300, and aside from the fact that the sensor in the 300 is inferior to both the 350 and the 20D, the ergonomics on the 20D are much better than the 300D, and makes it easier to use. Probably true of the 350D, as well?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I never had the 350, but I did have the 300, and aside from the fact that the sensor in the 300 is inferior to both the 350 and the 20D, the ergonomics on the 20D are much better than the 300D, and makes it easier to use. Probably true of the 350D, as well?

Hi David,

The ergonomics of the 350 iI don't find too bad, If I can achieve the same results from my 350 as I could with a 20D I will stick with the 350D and upgrade my glass.

Thanks for the comments and help.
    Cheers
    David Clifford