For sprint car racing fans

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

in 1925, a young daredevil motorcycle rider was hired by the Duesenberg Brothers as a welder in their automotive company. Several years later, he left to build his own company. He quickly became the country's acknowledged leader in sprint car frame and body construction. His name was Floyd " Pop " Dreyer. If you wanted to win in sprint car racing, you'd best have one of his cars. The car you see here was built in 1934 for a racer named Don Moore . It originally had a 4 cylinder, over-head cam engine but was fitted later with a Ford straight-six motor that is still in it. The car was finally retired in 1952 after an illustrious career as a true champion. This car here has been widely acclaimed as the most original un-restored Dreyer-built car in existence and is extremely rare.

1)

2)

3)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2020

Pretty sleek, Tom. Before independent suspension and disc brakes. B)

Love the rubber on old cars. If you get a flat, getting a new tire will be a problem.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! Thanks for sharing Tom!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2020

@willard3 said:
    Pretty sleek, Tom. Before independent suspension and disc brakes. B)

Love the rubber on old cars. If you get a flat, getting a new tire will be a problem.

I hear you about the tires. However, there are a couple of tire manufacturers who specialize in producing " retro " tires for old collectibles, race cars, etc. To have them produce a few really rare tires would, I'm sure, cost a fortune. I've seen it done, though.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow! Thanks for sharing Tom!

Sure enough, buddy. These really top shows do indeed bring some very interesting stuff out for viewing. The Amelia Island show probably is the best of the bunch at doing so.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Looks pretty scary to me...

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

And to think guys never thought twice about going all out racing those. Times have sure changed.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
    edited November 20, 2020

@Juano said:
    Looks pretty scary to me...

I'm with you there, Cristóbal. This car has no safety features for the driver at all.....no seat belts, no roll bar, nothing. Also, I imagine that the drivers of these things suffered severe hearing loss over time, what with the unrestricted exhaust exiting about 2 feet from their ears. The head gear they may have worn back then did nothing to abate the sound. Additionally, I can't imagine going racing with the gas tank sitting right behind my head.

@OrvSal said:
    And to think guys never thought twice about going all out racing those. Times have sure changed.

They sure have, Orv. Back then, the consequences for messing up were severe. I guess the thrills those guys enjoyed outweighed any safety concerns they may have had,

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Very nice images.

Wonderful piece of history!

Suspect that getting insurance was a challenge! 🙂

@El Gato said:
    Very nice images.

Wonderful piece of history!

Suspect that getting insurance was a challenge! 🙂

Thanks. A challenge for sure.