Options

Challenge 21: Atlantic City and Atlanta

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited September 19, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a few shots I like from Atlantic City and Atlanta. Here is the first. What do you think?

MainFragger

Comments

• Options
    edited September 16, 2004
    An alternate version of the picture
    This is a slightly different alternative to the picture.
  • Options
    Eerie building in Atlanta
    This is a really cool looking building in Atlanta, Ga. I loved how the light came out of the tope of the building..it reminds me of the lights coming off of IT in its spider form from the tele-movie.

MainFragger
  • Options
    Which of my images would you use for the challenge?
    Which images do you like and don't like, and why? Which would you use in the challenge?

MainFragger
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    I like the first one the best, more detail than the others and the reflections of the red signs on the water add a nice mirror image effect, if that makes any sense. Guess what I'm trying to say is it gives the photograph a dividing line, seperating the parts into various areas of interest. I'd try to tone down the Trump tower some, it's a bit too bright for the rest of the scene and washes out the building around it some (it, the Trump tower, looks much better in the second pic).

As to which to pick for the challenge, I can't say 'cept that i think that's really up to you to decide, the way I see it, learning to do some self critque is an intrigal part of the challenge, IMHO.

Good luck with whatever you enter thou.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    frag, I''d say the second one is the most promising. I like how the light in the foreground leads your eye to the buildings in the first one, but the payoff isn't all that great, and there's a ton of darkness there. In the second one, the moon over the cityscape is a really nice image. Still too much dark, be nice to see some more detail, no? I've shot the third building many times. Looks a little blurry to my aging eyes - tripod?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    I like the first one Frag... I agree with Sid that the others are a bit too blurry.:D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    How about a little mixing and matching?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    Wow, On my lap top I can really see the area on the top where I pased in the moon, thats embarassing,

Make a note of that, your editing may look fine on your monitor but when you look on someone elses if it is not calibrated the same your editing may show.
    (thats why I am not deleting the post)
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    The first one is also my favorite. I especially love the reflections on the water. I actually would have preferred seeing more emphasis placed on that aspect of the shot instead of seeing extra sky. Great shot! 2 and 3 aren't doing it for me, sorry.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    Tripod
    wxwax wrote:
    frag, I''d say the second one is the most promising. I like how the light in the foreground leads your eye to the buildings in the first one, but the payoff isn't all that great, and there's a ton of darkness there. In the second one, the moon over the cityscape is a really nice image. Still too much dark, be nice to see some more detail, no? I've shot the third building many times. Looks a little blurry to my aging eyes - tripod?
    From the angle I was shooting at, I don't think I could have gotten the shot with a tripod. It was a really impromptu shot that happened from a parking garage about a block and a half away. As it is, my camera angle was probably like 150-160 degrees up to get the shot. I agree its blurry, but that was the best of several shots I took. In a way, I like it that way because its just clear enough to clearly see what it is, but the slight bluriness almost lends the building an extra-dimensional feel. When I look at the image, I almost feel like I am looking at a Haunted building that is on the edge of the dead and living. But that could just be my overactive imagination.

MainFragger
  • Options
    This will probably p**s you off naughty.gif, but I shot it from t'other side of the street, on a tripod, with the G3. Never was happy about what I got, tho.

2893371-M.jpg2909576-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    This will probably p**s you off naughty.gif, but I shot it from t'other side of the street, on a tripod, with the G3. Never was happy about what I got, tho.

2893371-M.jpg
    I like this one a lot. Very abstract.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Why did you come in so tight. Maybe you need a frame of reference. Often it is hard to know, in my experience, what draws you to the picture. It has helped me immensely to take a picture at the time of interest, of what I am seeing, often that is the only picture I like.

ginger, who shoots a lot on any given subject, if it is stationary and I really like it, but those first impressions, they can be IT.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    I'm not sure...
    wxwax wrote:

I don't think this is exactly the same building, now that I see it. The building I shot had the lights in a different positon, and had a round top that exuded light, as opposed to the tower that appears on this building.

MainFragger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    wxwax wrote:

Just goes to show how sharp a G3 can be, right Sid!?

I prefer the color image - do you have the angled version in color also? That might be dynamiteclap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    I have a few shots I like from Atlantic City and Atlanta. Here is the first. What do you think?

MainFragger
    I strongly prefer the first shot MainFragger. I would work on the cutting back the highlights slightly and try to bring out the reflections more, and I would crop the sky some more also - the black sky does not really offer much to the image for me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2004
    I don't think this is exactly the same building, now that I see it. The building I shot had the lights in a different positon, and had a round top that exuded light, as opposed to the tower that appears on this building.

MainFragger

You know what, you're right. I know the building you mean. I haven't shot it, yet. I love the dome light at the top, though.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Just goes to show how sharp a G3 can be, right Sid!?

I prefer the color image - do you have the angled version in color also? That might be dynamiteclap.gif

Thanks. Not anymore, I don't think.

Ginger, I shot it that tight because it was late at night, and the rest of the building had little or no useful light. I do have a slightly wider shot, but I dislike it even more!
    Sid.