Rainbow Raptors

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
edited December 24, 2020 in Wildlife

Spent last week on Rainbow Lake in Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ. Sub-Freezing weather but these Raptors created lots of opportunity to learn a new skill of Panning.
Every time an Eagle would fly past, it sent the duck flying. I posted those images in the last post. This post is about the reason for the commotion.

Patience

Shopping the menu

Majestic Juvenile Bald Eagle

Scanning the horizon

Lunch is served, poor Shoveler _(heavily Cropped)

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

A juvie!!
    Looks like he/she has learned their trade.

I love to watch juvenile eagles at work, even here in Indiana now, too!! We had a family of four juvies about 5 miles south of my home. Who would have ever believed it!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Terrific series! Staying locked on the eagle in that flock of ducks was a good trick. In fact, all your shots show terrific tracking.

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

@pathfinder said:
    A juvie!!
    Looks like he/she has learned their trade.

I love to watch juvenile eagles at work, even here in Indiana now, too!! We had a family of four juvies about 5 miles south of my home. Who would have ever believed it!

We had several mature white tails, but they seemed to just hang around and wait for opportunity.
    While the Juveniles where very aggressive trying to make the opportunities. Very fun to shoot.

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

@kdog said:
    Terrific series! Staying locked on the eagle in that flock of ducks was a good trick. In fact, all your shots show terrific tracking.

Thank you. I have never really photographed wildlife as targeted subjects, but fell in love 6 months ago and have been obsessed with learning this new skill.
    Panning/Tracking is a tough one. Many hours on the Ice and a bucket of "Blurs", I was able to produce some respectable shots.
    Thanks again for the comments