Geminids Meteor Shower Timelapse

kdogkdog artistically challengedSan Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,625 moderator

I spent the nights of Dec 12 and 13 in Death Valley to watch and photograph the Geminids meteor shower. It was the best meteor shower I've ever experienced. Herein is a timelapse made of 3,000 photos I captured during the two nights using two cameras. The amount of meteors is amazing, to me anyway.

I recommend turning on your sound and viewing it large.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandAdministrators Posts: 12,676 moderator

Woot! Congrats on that wonderful production, Joel. Hope you stayed warm enough.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,323 Major grins

Great work, Joel. Thanks for posting this for us.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Major grins ArizonaRegistered Users Posts: 2,920 Major grins

Terrific. Thanks.

• kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,625 moderator
    edited December 23, 2020

@David_S85 said:
    Woot! Congrats on that wonderful production, Joel. Hope you stayed warm enough.

Thanks, David! It was pretty chilly -- high 20's. I dressed warm and was good except for my feet. I need to bring warmer boots next time. I did spend a lot of the time in my warm van.

@black mamba said:
    Great work, Joel. Thanks for posting this for us.

Thank you, Tom. I appreciate that.

@Cornflake said:
    Terrific. Thanks.

Thank you, Don!

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaSuper Moderators Posts: 14,567 moderator

Way cool video, Joel.
    Kathy enjoyed your video too, she really wanted to shoot the Geminids here in Indiana, but it was grey, overcast, and unworthy.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,625 moderator

@pathfinder said:
    Way cool video, Joel.
    Kathy enjoyed your video too, she really wanted to shoot the Geminids here in Indiana, but it was grey, overcast, and unworthy.

Thanks, Jim. Same here on the west coast. I drove a total of 870 miles for this!

• El GatoEl Gato Global Trekker Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins

Joel...

Fantastic!

Your astro-photography beats the images I have seen taken by the "pros" here that have ALL the astro-photography kit, scopes, imagers, alignment scopes, etc.

Very well done!

• JuanoJuano Major grins Lima, PeruRegistered Users Posts: 4,119 Major grins

I’m in awe....

• pembsphotopembsphoto pembrokeshireRegistered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    Very Impressive.

www.dstreetphoto.com
    www.dstreetbook.com

edited December 31, 2020

Thanks, @El Gato , @Juano and @pembsphoto !!!

• StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am San Jose, CARegistered Users Posts: 8,106 Major grins

Wonderful Joel! Music is superb too!