A Civil War era fort

black mambablack mamba Major grinsJacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,323 Major grins
edited December 27, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Fort Clinch sits at the extreme northern point of coastal Florida. Right across the inlet lies Georgia. If interested, google the fort for the whole story. BTW, those big cannon can throw a fused projectile about 12 miles.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

  • CornflakeCornflake Major grins ArizonaRegistered Users Posts: 2,920 Major grins

    Cool shots of a very interesting place, Tom. I'd never heard of it.

  • moose135moose135 Major grins Long Island, NY, Charlotte, NC and points between...Registered Users Posts: 1,366 Major grins

    Very nice images, Tom! Thanks for sharing them. I've actually been to Fort Clinch, although I didn't get to explore it much and didn't see the area you photographed. I was down that way three or four years ago, and was looking for somewhere to park to eat lunch. I pulled in, and the ranger at the admission booth, who was about to charge me, noticed my Air Force hat. He asked if I was a veteran, and since I was, they issued me a card for free admission to any Florida state park for life. I don't think I've been to a park in Florida since, but it's nice to know I can get in to one without charge if I decide to go!

  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,323 Major grins

    @Cornflake said:
    Cool shots of a very interesting place, Tom. I'd never heard of it.

    Thanks, Don. The building on the left in the last shot houses a medical dispensary, surgical room, and a large area for storage of various tools that would be needed to maintain the fort. All of that is maintained just as if it were the mid 1800's and the place was full of troops. I've had a little medical training and the thought of having to endure treatment for serious injuries using techniques and equipment available at the time is very sobering.

    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,323 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2020

    @moose135 said:
    Very nice images, Tom! Thanks for sharing them. I've actually been to Fort Clinch, although I didn't get to explore it much and didn't see the area you photographed. I was down that way three or four years ago, and was looking for somewhere to park to eat lunch. I pulled in, and the ranger at the admission booth, who was about to charge me, noticed my Air Force hat. He asked if I was a veteran, and since I was, they issued me a card for free admission to any Florida state park for life. I don't think I've been to a park in Florida since, but it's nice to know I can get in to one without charge if I decide to go!

    Hey, John. I'm a bit of an old-fort freak and Fort Clinch is certainly one of the best maintained forts of the civil war era. They have period-dressed folks on site that do a great job of creating a realistic picture of what it was like to be there during the war.

    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Texas Grins San Antonio, TXRegistered Users Posts: 3,819 Major grins

    I hadn’t heard of this one either. Thanks for more history!

    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

    Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,323 Major grins

    @redleash said:
    I hadn’t heard of this one either. Thanks for more history!

    Well, Lauren, just drift over my way and I'll show you this fort, Fort Matanzas in St. Augustine, and Fort Caroline in Jacksonville. Not far to the west of us, they annually stage one of the biggest Civil War battle reenactments anywhere.

    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Global Trekker Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins

    Tom...

    an interesting set of images, highlighting a site I had not heard of previously. Always interested in new locations and learning a bit along the way too. Looks as if the site is well maintained and kept in shape.

    I will add this to my FL "list" and hope then to be able to visit...oh say maybe in 2022, when such travel will be back in vogue.

    Thanks for providing a peek into FL history!

  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,323 Major grins

    @El Gato said:
    Tom...

    an interesting set of images, highlighting a site I had not heard of previously. Always interested in new locations and learning a bit along the way too. Looks as if the site is well maintained and kept in shape.

    I will add this to my FL "list" and hope then to be able to visit...oh say maybe in 2022, when such travel will be back in vogue.

    Thanks for providing a peek into FL history!

    Thanks, Gato. Buddy, you're welcome at my place anytime you can make it. Lots of good food around here, some great wine, and even an interesting thing or two to shoot. Does it get any better!!!!

    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Global Trekker Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins

    Thank you Tom! I hope conditions improve, drastically over he next several months! Looking to maybe 2022 before ideal travel conditions prevail. However, whenever they do, I may just ask you for some good eating recommendations and meet you for dinner and an adult beverage.

    Happy trails in 2021!!!

Sign In or Register to comment.