Photoshop LAB question about Blend-If settings

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited January 30, 2006 in Finishing School
As I'm now a convert to frequently using Layer/Blend-If settings to control layer blending in LAB mode, I'm trying to figure out why the blend-if sliders are numbered 0 to 255 instead of -128/128 for the A/B channels and 0 to 255 instead of 0 to 100 for the L channel? Is this just an oversight by Adobe? Is there a pref to change this? Or is there some reason it is the way it is?

I ask because I will commonly be examining my image and find that I have a clear separation between two objects around a particular L, A or B number. I then go to the Blend-If sliders and I can't use those numbers because the sliders use a completely different numbering scheme. I have to do it by eye. Weird.

Here's a screen shot of the A channel sliders that shows the 0 to 255 numbering:
54023669-M.jpg
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Good question, John. I never noticed, but I always went by look. Interesting idea to go by the numbers...except for the fact that Adobe screwed it up!

Looking forward to hearing an answer on this from someone more learned than me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I think David is right. Adobe needs to read Dan Margulis over and over again until they get every little detail like this right.

To quote our feerless leader: "Doesn't it just suck when you don't get what you want?"
    If not now, when?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I'll post in the Adobe Photoshop forum
    rutt wrote:
    I think David is right. Adobe needs to read Dan Margulis over and over again until they get every little detail like this right.

Since it doesn't appear I just overlooked something simple, I decided to ask the same question in Adobe's Photoshop forum. I'll report back if anything useful turns up there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    Adobe responds
    jfriend wrote:
    As I'm now a convert to frequently using Layer/Blend-If settings to control layer blending in LAB mode, I'm trying to figure out why the blend-if sliders are numbered 0 to 255 instead of -128/128 for the A/B channels and 0 to 255 instead of 0 to 100 for the L channel? Is this just an oversight by Adobe? Is there a pref to change this? Or is there some reason it is the way it is?

Chris Cox of Adobe responded in this thread in the Adobe forum and said: "The sliders don't know or care anything about the color mode. Yes, it's just an oversight (but a really, really minor one)."

--John
    HomepagePopular