Migrate from custom site to template

forestlitterforestlitter Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited January 20, 2021 in SmugMug Support

I have a customized site that was done by someone else. I'm looking for move to one of the templates with far less customization.

After experimenting with selecting a template, I have some questions.

1) Does any site customization transfer when I select a new template? Or is that how I remove ALL customization & start fresh?
2) It looks like I can save my "new" site as a draft, work on it, then make it public when I'm ready. Am I correct that this draft and the live site are completely independent in appearance & organization? What happens if I add photos/change organization on the live site while I am working on the draft?

TIA for any help

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@forestlitter said:
    1) Does any site customization transfer when I select a new template? Or is that how I remove ALL customization & start fresh?

If you have added a CSS block to any of your pages, galleries etc, then yes. If you have all of your customizations in your Theme's Custom CSS section, then no, it will NOT "transfer".

@forestlitter said:
    2) It looks like I can save my "new" site as a draft, work on it, then make it public when I'm ready. Am I correct that this draft and the live site are completely independent in appearance & organization?

Yes.

@forestlitter said:
    2) What happens if I add photos/change organization on the live site while I am working on the draft?

I believe adding content is NOT the same as editing/creating a theme. A theme is basically a skin. It's there to make your content (pictures, pages etc) pretty.