Canyonlands Sunset

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Working on restoring a crashed, external HD and corrupted .NEF files....waaaaay tooo much work and effort.
Cloud backup helping ...a bit. Hope to be back with more images soon!

Stay safe and well everyone.

Here is one saved imaged, taken during last fall's trip out to Canyonlands National Park

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Very nice! I like the tones on the rocks.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Very nice! I like the tones on the rocks.

Thanks Cristóbal.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Looks like sun is running away from you, trying to hide behind that rock. What did you do?

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Good one, Gato. Man, there's nothing I hate worse than having to deal with computer and/or software related problems. I'll pray for you.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Contrast of the horizon and the rocks is good and the nice sun adds a great deal.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2021

What a capture. The rocks are cool, but the sun with the clouds banding across is what makes this image IMO.
    The Rocks may have been the primary subject, but the sun steals the show.
    @Stumblebum is right, The composition could use some help, unless you were unable to reposition yourself, The sun would work well Balanced to the left.
    Otherwise Awesome.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@shawnc said:
    What a capture. The rocks are cool, but the sun with the clouds banding across is what makes this image IMO.
    The Rocks may have been the primary subject, but the sun steals the show.
    @Stumblebum is right, The composition could use some help, unless you were unable to reposition yourself, The sun would work well Balanced to the left.
    Otherwise Awesome.

THANK YOU everyone for your comments...all are appreciated!!

I agree with the better positioning....HOWEVER....

unseen here is the restraining railing over which my tripod is draped/positioned and tied (zip tied to the railing). Just left of this railing is air and about a 1/4 mile drop off into a canyon. Gotta love USB tethered cable releases.

When setting up for this shot, I tripled checked all bolts, screws, ties and connectors on my kit and tripod. I figured I would receive zero sympathy from the local NPS ranger had the kit slipped off into the canyon. Probably would have gotten a fine for littering.

The setting sun anchors the image IMHO, the rocks were the objective. Given the time of day, a setting sun, late Sept., and a sky choked with smoke from the west coast fires, the natural filter made for a must take photo. Trying to set up the tripod and camera far enough over the rim to get a full shot of the sun as it set behind the rock face was a bit dicy,

Thank you again, everyone!