Options

Can I strip geotags / location data?

ckruegerckrueger Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

My cameras generally include geolocation data. I find this really helpful, but I do NOT want to share that data with the Internet.

Is there a way to hide or strip this information automatically? Bonus points if I can do it for some galleries (public galleries) but not all (private galleries), and if I can strip location data for people downloading/viewing my photos, but not for me.

Without this I’d have to manually process each file before uploading, which is a lot more work!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2021

Turn it off under gallery settings.

Appearance > Enable Map Features

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2021

You can do your whole site
    Organize > highlight top line in tree in left pane
    Settings > Appearance > Enable Map Features
    Put a check in box then click "OFF"

• Options

Thanks for the reply!

I just tried that and it removed the UI on SmugMug to show the location data, but the data is still in the file. If I download the file and look at it, I can still see the data intact.

• Options

Smugmug does not do anything with your originals. You would have to delete the GPS data from each photo before upload.
    You'd have to turn off downloads so nobody else can download them.

• Options

Bummer, I was hoping that at least the resized images could have location metadata stripped, since those are generated by SmugMug. I’m OK not having originals available for public images.

I see that I can edit metadata for images, and it appears I can even strip location data for any arbitrary image. But it’s a manual process, so I’d have to do it for each image I upload (and I’d also have to duplicate the location-stripped photos to retain the location metadata for my private use). Not ideal at all, but it works I suppose, if I can remember to do it every time I upload!