20D Flash Question

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited January 27, 2006 in Cameras
OK, I have my Sony HVL-F32X flash purchased for my F-828. Is this a good match to use with my new Canon 20D?

Thanks,

Gary

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    gpgold wrote:
    OK, I have my Sony HVL-F32X flash purchased for my F-828. Is this a good match to use with my new Canon 20D?

Thanks,

Gary

Most likely it will not support ETTL or ETTLII. Technically if the flash uses the center connector the trigger the flash it will work. There is a possibility of the trigger voltage being too high and causing electrical damage to your hotshoe and shutter.

If you are looking for an inexpensive manual flash. I have a sunpak 383 that works fine on both D60 and 20D. I usually use it as a slave to a 550ex with optical slave and have used it for 2 years.

I would recommend, that in general to have 1 branded dedicated flash for your bodies. You can use it control other 3rd party flashes if needed. I am not sure whats best for the 20D but I assume the 580ex is followed by the 550ex.

Hope this helps.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Most likely it will not support ETTL or ETTLII. Technically if the flash uses the center connector the trigger the flash it will work. There is a possibility of the trigger voltage being too high and causing electrical damage to your hotshoe and shutter.

If you are looking for an inexpensive manual flash. I have a sunpak 383 that works fine on both D60 and 20D. I usually use it as a slave to a 550ex with optical slave and have used it for 2 years.

I would recommend, that in general to have 1 branded dedicated flash for your bodies. You can use it control other 3rd party flashes if needed. I am not sure whats best for the 20D but I assume the 580ex is followed by the 550ex.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob!

regards,

Gary
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I agree that it could flash with the 20d however no sync.

I also have a 20d and instead of dishing out all the $$$ that canon wants for their flash I opted to go for the Sigma 500 DG. I bought it from 47th street photo for $179. It's equal to the canon 580ex. I love the Sigma flash it does wonderful job. So before you spend all that money on the canon give a good look at the Sigma.

Happy Shooting.
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    I agree that it could flash with the 20d however no sync.

I also have a 20d and instead of dishing out all the $$$ that canon wants for their flash I opted to go for the Sigma 500 DG. I bought it from 47th street photo for $179. It's equal to the canon 580ex. I love the Sigma flash it does wonderful job. So before you spend all that money on the canon give a good look at the Sigma.

Happy Shooting.

Great information! Thanks very much.

regards,

Gary