Norway Travelogue (warning longer post)

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

In the fall of 2018 I was working on assignment in Bergen, Norway. When the assignment ended I decided to take a short weekend trip to Flam, prior to returning to Oslo and on to the next client (in Dubai).

I traveled by boat from Bergen to Flam to enjoy the spectacular scenery. I left without a hotel booking in Flam, figuring I could get a room upon my arrival

When deciding to go on this weekender, I didn’t realise at the time, that Flam had a “season” (tourist that is). I arrived deep in the middle of the off-season, which certainly has its benefits, as well as shortcomings. I literally had the town to myself, although most of all the shops, restaurants and hotels were closed. Ah the off-season…ahhh, the off-season.

I did manage to secure a room at the Flåm Marina Hotel with a magnificent view of the Sognefjord. Eerie, quiet, even spooky in the evening. Being alone, in a small town usually bustling and crowed with people, without masses of humanity running about, was a strange feeling. It was, however, a wonderful experience, the scenery and natural beauty just amazing.

I left Flam very early on Monday morning traveling on the Flam Railway (Flåmsbana...one of the steepest standard gauge railway lines in the world). The Flam Railway took me to the Myrdal Train station, where I caught a connecting train to Oslo. The jaw-dropping scenery on this rail journey comes at you in all directions. Amazing engineering work through mountain tunnels, over storied bridges, across ravines. The train makes a scheduled stop at the majestic Kjosfossen waterfall. Breathtaking!

Attempting to select from a horde of basic “holiday snaps,” the two presented below are the most reminiscent of this weekend get-away to the beautiful town of Flam, Norway.

Cottages along the fjord shoreline - Flam

Waterfalls and downtown Flam

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet comps especially first one! What a beautiful spot!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks for these, Al. That background terrain in #2 is some of the most awe-inspiring I've ever seen. Also, I'd give anything to take a ride on that train. I think I've ridden every scenic train you can take in the Appalachians.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice colors and composition in no 1, Al

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Sweet comps especially first one! What a beautiful spot!

@black mamba said:
    Thanks for these, Al. That background terrain in #2 is some of the most awe-inspiring I've ever seen. Also, I'd give anything to take a ride on that train. I think I've ridden every scenic train you can take in the Appalachians.

@willard3 said:
    Nice colors and composition in no 1, Al

Thank you all!! I very much appreciate the feedback and comments.

Tom, the waterfalls were indeed amazing. This is the "flow" in the fall, I can just imagine what this mountainside would look like in the spring after the winter melt.

I had to cutoff the upper third of the mountains in order to get the shoreline and town in the frame. The mountains extended much higher and are majestic. They must look very beautiful all covered in snow. Even though it was fall, I did encounter a fresh layer of snow covering the train platform when I arrived at the Myrdal station. Winter is coming.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Very cool. It makes me want to go there.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Both shots are wonderful, I like the waterfalls on 2.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Don & .Cristóbal...

Thank you both for your comments.

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I would certainly suggest visiting Bergen and Flam. Both of these locations, I found out after my weekender visit, are big tourist destinations. In retrospect, I was glad to be there in the off-season. I was able to hike and walk the area really all alone without the hordes of tourists that come by cruise ships.

The late fall colors were beautiful and the dusting of snow added to the "feel" of fall in Norway.

I have been to Norway several times and I am never disappointed with the beauty, scenery and hospitality of the people that I have met.

BTW, Tromso, Norway is a top three aurora destination. Check off a few bucket list items all in one easily accessible, friendly and delightful country.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.