black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited July 25, 2021 in Other Cool Shots

Mr. Green steps up. I'll show you how it's done

1 ) Contemplating

2 ) Charge

3 What the hell

4 ) I'll be back

5 ) Bad idea

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

As good as first one Tom!
    I do have a different perspective to add to these. I was trying to figure out what is bugging me and dimming my mood.

I think it is 2 things.
    The biggest one is the DARKNESS in water. Making it bit gloomy, which is creating bit of a conflict in my mind because normally I associate this activity with emotions such as --> Adventure, Thrill, Joy, Exhilarating, Full of Life, Sunny, etc.
    So gloomy doesn't fit in that set but darkness is taking me there, creating conflict.

Second is extreme isolation.
    Now being an EXTREME LONER, it is odd I feel that way.
    But combined with darkness and this Kayaker seeming like last person on Earth it feels like he has been dropped in SEA OF DOOM and he is fighting for his life to get out.

So I suppose I am looking for processing that hints towards different mood.
    Perhaps its my own mood where I have been down for whole year and haven't even looked at my camera much less shoot with it.
    Anyways all input needs to be taken with as they say --> GRAIN OF SALT.

Cheers!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2021

It's always interesting, brother, to get your take on things. The water was dark....or rather the rock structures under the water were decidedly dark and a dark shoreline ( when seen ) exacerbates the mood. The actual combat, however, mostly occurred in the frothing, white water. I rather like the overall mood because it's like a battlefield. It's the kayaker against the unforgiving rapids and it's a fight to the death, hypothetically speaking. The mood seems just right to me. These shots, btw, are straight out of the camera....some judicious cropping but that's all.

I feel the same way about the isolation. It promotes the perception, at least in my case, that this a serious struggle between man and water and anything else shown would be a distraction in the drama. Actually, Taz, we're not far apart in perception. You said it very well...." dropped in a sea of doom and he is fighting for his life to get out ".

You know, my friend, I've had a slight feeling lately that you might be feeling a little " off ". No wonder......with all the bullshit that's going on.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Good discussion and points of view.

edited July 28, 2021

@Juano said:
    Good discussion and points of view.

Isn't it great, Cristóbal, when an image or set of images can elicit a variety of responses ? In some of your more adventuresome work, we see a spread of reactions among our group. I know that I, personally, have honed some of my skills from digesting the works of yourself....works that cause me to explore alternative thinking and to consider alternative means of telling a story. Our shared goals on this forum of becoming better photographers are what keeps me tuned in.

Stay safe, my friend.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom... a great sports sequence and image series. A great follow-up to your first set. I like.

Taz, as always, keen insights.

edited July 28, 2021

@El Gato said:
    Tom... a great sports sequence and image series. A great follow-up to your first set. I like.

Taz, as always, keen insights.

Thanks. As a side note relative to the sport I was shooting: I asked one of the guys if they incurred much in the way of injuries doing this stuff. He said there wasn't a one of them that didn't have to hobble around at some point; pulled muscles ranking high on the list, hitting rocks and such is up there too.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@black mamba said:

Thanks. As a side note relative to the sport I was shooting: I asked one of the guys if they incurred much in the way of injuries doing this stuff. He said there wasn't a one of them that didn't have to hobble around at some point; pulled muscles ranking high on the list, hitting rocks and such is up there too.

I have a couple of friends that participate in this sport competitively. They tell me it is similiar to growing old, It's not for the weak or faint of heart! ;) Another great action series.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@roaddog52 said:

@black mamba said:

I have a couple of friends that participate in this sport competitively. They tell me it is similiar to growing old, It's not for the weak or faint of heart! ;) Another great action series.

Many thanks, Phil.