Options

End of the road for Canon EOS 1D

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

The Mark III will be the last 1D, according to this article on Canon Rumors: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-exec-confirms-that-the-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-is-canons-last-dslr/
Stay tuned for the EOS R1, coming sometime this year (maybe).

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 4, 2022

I've seen similar articles describing the death throes of the 1DX MK III. I am sorry to see high quality APS-C DSLRs, let alone full frame DSLRs, disappearing - but it is what it is.

The R3 is still not being shipped to consumers to my knowledge, yet.

Early on, I never thought the electronic viewfinders would be fast enough for real sports or birds inflight and such, but the viewfinder on my R5 does extremely well even when I shoot with it and my 1DX Mk II side by side, in high frame rate shooting. I never see it blacken out or flicker.

I haven't seen any serious attempts to describe what specs an R1 would offer, have you, Richard?

There is still some hope for intermediate level Canon DSLRs as described in this link https://photofocus.com/featured/pro-level-dslrs-are-dead-long-live-dslrs-for-everyone-else/

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited January 5, 2022

I'm still quite happy with my 5D3, and even the two 100D's I continue to use. No need to upgrade just yet, but eventually, it will happen. My real worry isn't lust for an R3 or an R1, but rather if I insist on buying another half dozen R-series L lenses. $$$

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

@pathfinder said:
    I haven't seen any serious attempts to describe what specs an R1 would offer, have you, Richard?

No, only lots of speculation. BTW, it looks like the article I linked to has been truncated since I posted.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 5, 2022

@David_S85 said:
    I'm still quite happy with my 5D3, and even the two 100D's I continue to use. No need to upgrade just yet, but eventually, it will happen. My real worry isn't lust for an R3 or an R1, but rather if I insist on buying another half dozen R-series L lenses. $$$

Hi David,
    There are a pretty large number of non-OEM lenses now, for the RF mount too, Samyang, Rokinon, Laowa, , and several others that are fairly inexpensive ( at least compared to true Canon RF lenses).
    I keep waiting for Sigma and Tamron to join in as well. It looks like some of their lenses for the Sony and Nikon mirrorless bodies are going to be available on the RF mount too.

Some of the short wide non-AF lenses lenses like the Laowa Venus 15mm f2.0 zero D are very nice, I love mine . The EVF viewfinder assist to manual focus makes them very useful lenses, despite the lack of AF.

I actually plan on keeping most of my better EF lenses, though - they actually seem to work just fine with the Canon EF->RF Lens mount adapters. Especially the 70-200 f2.8 IS L v2, and several of my white long lenses.

One of my reasons for staying in the Canon fold is Canon Factory Service. I have had several expensive lenses and bodies restored to like new by CFS. I wish Panasonic offered a similar service, but have not found one to date.

The continuing improvements in RAW file editors continue to help older cameras and sensors remain very useful. I am always amazed how good properly exposed RAW, or even jpgs, from a Canon 10D can look today. If one doesn’t need modern high frame rates and AF speeds, or modern video files, why not continue with a great camera like the 5D3. I absolutely agree.

I still find usefulness in my 1st generation m4/3 Panasonic GF1 with a dedicated 30mm macro lens on a copy stand. Adequate file size, small, easy to carry around or manipulate, and the lens is more than adequate.

Like I have always said, different tools for different tasks.

I hope the New Year is treating you well, and that once we all get past February that we can begin to put thoughts of the pandemic finally behind us.

Looking forward to a better year, shortly, real soon now, or eventually anyway.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited January 5, 2022

Historically, the Canon EOS 5D series followed the EOS 1Ds series in resolution, with the 1Ds leading in speed and features.

. (ziggy dreams below [don't wake him ])

If the R1 follows that tradition, then it should have,

At least 45MPix resolution, with a deeper shot buffer,
    Possibly both APS-H and APS-C crop options,
    Possibly (remotely possible) a global electronic shutter,
    At least 2x CFexpress card slots, possibly with a third SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-II) slot for JPGs and proxy video storage.
    HDMI Output: 10-bit 4:2:2, possibly 12-bit 4:2:2,
    8k60p RAW video, short-format acquisition 20 minutes
    6k60p RAW video continuous,
    Optional thermal coupling attachment with fan for unlimited 8k video,
    Same professional form-factor and batteries as R3:
    1 x LP-E19 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 10.8 VDC, 2700 mAh
    or
    1 x LP-E4N Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 11.1 VDC, 2450 mAh

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums