Purnululu National Park - Western Australia

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins

Hi, earlier this year took a 15000 km trip around half of Australia (WA/South Australia/Northern Territory). The Purnululu NP was one of the highlights - also known as the Bungle Bungles. The sandstone rock formations were deposited about 350 million years ago, and although the area has been known by the local traditional owners for ~20000 years, the area was only "discovered" by tourists in the early 80's. It was declared a National Park in 1987 - and World Heritage listed in 2003.

Bungles #1

Bungles #2

Bungles #3

Bungles #4

Thank for looking in - C&C always welcome.
Cheers - Richard.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Vey nice work, Richard. I like each shot but I favor the last one because it's more encompassing. Interesting territory.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

That looks like a very interesting place to visit!

The photos are wonderful; the last one is my favorite.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Wow. Beautiful pics and look at those layers! I had never heard of that place before you posted these. Reminds me of a cross between The Badlands and Painted Hills here in the States.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Vey nice work, Richard. I like each shot but I favor the last one because it's more encompassing. Interesting territory.

Tom

Hi Tom, yes, the green of the Acacia trees and the Spinifex makes it a more complete shot. Thanks for looking in and commenting. Cheers, Richard.

@denisegoldberg said:
    That looks like a very interesting place to visit!

The photos are wonderful; the last one is my favorite.

Hi, It would be good to be there at the moment, the remnants of a cyclone has just gone through that area and has dropped a fair amount of rain so the creeks would be flowing - which unfortunately would make it difficult to get to as there are about 15 creek crossings to navigate. Thanks for looking in and commenting. Cheers, Richard.

@David_S85 said:
    Wow. Beautiful pics and look at those layers! I had never heard of that place before you posted these. Reminds me of a cross between The Badlands and Painted Hills here in the States.

Hi, would certainly like to go back there again, it's just a pity it is a 3000km drive from home ! Thanks for looking in and commenting. Cheers, Richard.