Options

Gone...gone...gone

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Sadly, the three barns seen here no longer exist. There's little evidence that the first two were ever here and the third one suffered a massive collapse and the site is being prepped for construction of a new barn.

1)

2 )

3 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

That's sad, but inevitable I suppose.

• Options

That sums it up perfectly, Cristóbal. " sad, but inevitable ".

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Love these

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

Very nice captures, Tom! It really looks like those were standing out of habit alone.

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Love these

Thanks, Taz.

• Options

@moose135 said:
    Very nice captures, Tom! It really looks like those were standing out of habit alone.

You've spent enough time up in those mountains, John, to know what I mean when I describe how folks up there will use the old barns until they fall completely down. Look at that third shot. It's stacked to the roof with hay. All along the far side are big posts ( you can see one of them ) that are there to keep it from falling over.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Very cool.

I got serious about photography fourteen years ago. It's surprising how many photos I took back then could not be taken now. An old building that collapsed. A mountain meadow bulldozed for development. A couple of spots scarred by fires. Etc.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom....

Very nice.

As I have said previously, you are capturing pieces of history that the grandchildren of many folks today, will never see.

It might be interesting to have a picture of the new structure that replaces image #3 and post them side-by-side. Kind of like a "before" and "after," "yesterday" and 'today" type of presentation.

Thanks for preserving "mountain" history....barn by barn!

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    Very cool.

I got serious about photography fourteen years ago. It's surprising how many photos I took back then could not be taken now. An old building that collapsed. A mountain meadow bulldozed for development. A couple of spots scarred by fires. Etc.

Thanks, Don. I sometimes wonder what drives me to record as many of these old farm structures as I can. I know that I'm dealing with only a vary small percentage of what's out there but I feel compelled to record as many as I can before they meet a similar ending as those shown in this posting. Stay safe, buddy.

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom....

Very nice.

As I have said previously, you are capturing pieces of history that the grandchildren of many folks today, will never see.

It might be interesting to have a picture of the new structure that replaces image #3 and post them side-by-side. Kind of like a "before" and "after," "yesterday" and 'today" type of presentation.

Thanks for preserving "mountain" history....barn by barn!

Hey, Al. The encouragement I get from remarks like yours cannot be understated. Thank you so much for your support.