Options

WW II Warbirds

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

This is a stunning restoration of a P-51 C. Going up in this plane was my second flight in a P-51. The B-17 and the B-24 are also beautifully restored.

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

5 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Pretty birds Tom!

• Options

Thanks, Taz.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Very nice set.
    These planes belong to the Collings Foundation, unfortunately the B-17 "Nine -O-Nine"( pictured in #4) crashed at Bradley International Airport in October 2019 and 7 people on board lost their lives.
    The North American TP-51C Mustang has just being completely restored and it has now a new name and a new livery, it will be unveiled in the next few weeks...it is a stunner !
    I flew on that B-24J Liberator "Witchcraft" and shot the Collings TF-51D "Toulouse Nuts" on our wing during a ferry flight, what an amazing experience that was.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Well done. Always great to see images of aviation history. These planes, their pilots and crew earned an esteemed reputation and place in history. Nicely shot and presented.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2022

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

Well done. Always great to see images of aviation history. These planes, their pilots and crew earned an esteemed reputation and place in history. Nicely shot and presented.

Thanks, Al. Boy, you nailed it about the pilots and crew. I'm first stunned, then appalled, that many of the college students I come in contact with know really nothing about WW II.....don't even know the major antagonists in the conflict and have no apparent interest about it. Sad commentary.

I love to go digging in my WW II books. To understand the real story about the air war in Europe, one of the very best books is " The mighty Eighth at war ", by Chris McNab. Tons of great pictures and the commentary, for the most part, is first hand accounts. Riveting !!!

Another great book, on many fronts, is the one written by Robert Matzen about Jimmy Stewart ( the actor ) and his wartime experiences. Actually, it covers a good bit of his life history and it's extremely interesting, But I've read very few accounts as dramatic, detailed, and engrossing as this one in painting the most descriptive and blunt picture of what it was really like to take off on every flight.... knowing that you or some of your crew could well be killed that day. Brutal !!!!