San Felipe Del Morro, Puerto Rico

willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
edited February 3, 2022 in Other Cool Shots

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Comments

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Love these....well done.

Especially nice as I look outside at 17F, 8+ inches of snow and a gray sky.

It is unfortunate that some people have no sense of right/wrong and are constantly and consistently demonstrating a lack of intelligence and acceptable behavior (e.g., the graffiti on the door).

Thanks for sharing these.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice Willard!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Fine shots. I'm glad I don't have to attack that place.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Gracias all.
    This is one of two impressive forts protecting the port of Viejo San Juan.

A representative landmark of Puerto Rico’s colonial legacy, the Castillo San Felipe del Morro, or El Morro for short, is an impressive citadel that sits at the very top of Old San Juan. Its construction began in 1539 and concluded around 1790; during those 250 years, the castle became a six-level fortress designed to protect the island from attackers approaching by sea. The bastion – integrated by barracks, dungeons, and storerooms – still holds some of the original cannons facing the ocean. This fortress has seen many battles over the centuries, from Sir Francis Drake’s attack in 1595 to the 1898 Bombardment of San Juan by the US Navy, but it has never been defeated. In 1898, as a result of the Spanish-American War, the island changed hands from Spain to the United States. The castle houses the oldest lighthouse on the island, built under Spanish rule in 1846. El Morro was later designated as part of Fort Brooke and actively used as a military installation during the First and Second World Wars. In 1961, the US Army retired El Morro, passing it on to the National Park Service to establish a museum.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata