Sonoran Sunrise

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Beautiful shot. There's much to like about this one.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Those SW evening and morning skies are just so nice compared to where I live. Beautiful photo.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • MouseMouse Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    Beautiful shot. Just what I’m trying to do but having trouble. Can you give me a suggestion? I have a canon R6 and using a cannon 200-400. The sun is a little more direct. Using a iPhone 13 I get great pics. Using the R6 set at AV, trying different fstops and auto iso as soon as I have lens pointed with sun In view the picture looks like I put a black filter on. What am I doing wrong?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@Mouse said:
    Beautiful shot. Just what I’m trying to do but having trouble. Can you give me a suggestion? I have a canon R6 and using a cannon 200-400. The sun is a little more direct. Using a iPhone 13 I get great pics. Using the R6 set at AV, trying different fstops and auto iso as soon as I have lens pointed with sun In view the picture looks like I put a black filter on. What am I doing wrong?

You haven't mentioned what metering mode you're using, but it sounds like your camera is exposing for the bright sun. Since no camera has enough dynamic range to shoot directly into the sun, and depending on your settings, either the sun will be completely blown out or the rest of the photo will be black. The best way to get a scene with both the sun and the rest of the scene exposed properly is to do a blend of frames with different exposures. You can use HDR for this or take take multiple frames and blend them yourself. Lots of options there. But you'll rarely get good results shooting into the sun with just a single frame.

Those newer cell phones have a huge amount of AI processing, and I'm pretty certain it's doing a multiple exposure processing of some sort behind the scenes for you. Once you master it with a real camera, you'll surpass what is capable in the IPhone. And of course you have no 200-400 f/4 option in a cell phone.