Options

Candid Shot of my Godson

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited September 18, 2004 in People
Toughts on this, I was thinking of entering it in the color people catagory of a local contest.

8635444-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    Candid
    I like it a lot. I think some of the best portrait photography is that which catches people in purely natural poses; like this one.

Good work.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Great expression and great color on the shirt. Do you think the vivid color and brightness of the shirt draws the eye away from the somewhat darker left side of the face? I might be tempted to do something about the metal bar in the lower left, perhaps blur it slightly to match the green one? Might be fun to try to clone out both of 'em, just to see what it looks like? ne_nau.gif Just my thoughts, personal tastes vary so much. You sure did a nice job of getting him at a good moment, and the composition is very dynamic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    Greaps,
    The color balance looks a little cool (blue) on my monitor. I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick color balance with the eyedropper in levels. I used the bright white flower on his shirt. Does this look better on your monitor? If you don't want to leave this up, I'll gladly take it down.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Greaps,
    The color balance looks a little cool (blue) on my monitor. I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick color balance with the eyedropper in levels. I used the bright white flower on his shirt. Does this look better on your monitor? If you don't want to leave this up, I'll gladly take it down.
    TML on my Sharp 1810(Gateway FPD1810) LCD, I prefer your version to Greapers - I agree that his image is slightly cool and the whites look crisper and whiter in your version.

It has a lovely soft light and captures a pleasant view of the young man, but to my eye this is a snapshot, as the background does not contribute to the image, but is slightly distracting.
    I think a better image could have been captured in this lighting with more careful inspection of the background. But it is easy for me to say this after the fact, shooting kids can be a kind of pot luck affair and we have to be happy with what we capture sometimes. The other alternative is to place the kids in front of a pre-chosen background and pre-chosen lighting and shoot them as they play there.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    Hand holding a 500 mm lense, you get what you can. The bars are a minor distraction, My wife said so too and she is always right. (you never know when she might be watching)

tml,

You are right, too late tho, printed and entered.

we will see how it does.