Mini challenge # 340: Handmade

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,774 Major grins
edited August 4, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

The subject of this mini is "Handmade" in which I want to see an object being made or worked on "by hand". Use of hand tools is OK, but no big machinery
For the rest anything goes, the objects worked on can be small or big, any material and temporary or everlasting. Just use you imagination.

A few examples form me:

Sanding and polishing a sculpture

Chiseling

Building a sandcastle

Painting a railing

Forming clay

But obviously there are many, many more examples of handmade work projects, I'm looking forward to having a hard time judging this one :)

This mini will run for about 2 1/2 weeks until Monday August 22, 19:00 NWE time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,828 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2022

Ok Pieter, I'll jump in, but since I won the last challenge I don't think these should be considered.

1) Carpet weaving in Turkey

2) Scene painter at the Bregenz Festspiele

3) Basket weaver in Gallipoli, Italy

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,944 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2022

When I read this challenge I immediately thought of this photo of a glassblower who is holding a blob of hot glass by his crotch while scratching his head and thinking about what to do next
    1. Glass blower in Ireland

1. A cameo maker in Italy (digitized slide from 1964)

2. A potter at a historical site in Texas (dressed in colonial clothes)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,774 Major grins

Great work and thanks for entering Sara and grandmaR, if we get much more of this quality my judging will be hard, which is a good thing :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 6, 2022

Hopefully people have this in their archives! I have very few.

1 Hand Carved, Disney World Florida, USA

2 Guaymí Woman (was working fast to finish a basket for me before I had to get back into the canoe for an hour ride back to the cruise ship, in Costa Rica Rainforest. As it was, she ended up going on the trip with us in the canoe so she could finish, which she did, just as we pulled into the dock area. I still have the basket.)

3 Street Painter, in Cartagena Colombia (he used spray paint in cans, as well as his fingers!)

Thanks for entering Joyce, all nice "hand"work

@all others: still a week to enter, I would like to see more to judge from

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

My entries just barely match the requirements for the mini, but this gives me a chance to show one of my favorites from a blacksmith shop - Courting Candles. From the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, Coloma, California.

"In the 1600's to the 1800's, courting candles were used by the man of the home to set boundaries for his daughter. When the daughter's suitor came calling, the father lit the candle in a sitting room where the couple conversed. When the candles burnt to the metal at the top of the candle holder, it was time for the suitor to promptly leave. However, the father could change the height of the candle based on how comfortable he felt about the suitor. Also, the father could immediately snuff out the candle or add a second candle depending on what he deemed necessary. The courting candle served as a quiet, yet firm reminder to the suitor to end his date."

The beginnings - molding the spiral base.

Moving back into the shop and expert - beginning the top and bottom design.

Finishing the Courting Candle before inserting the adjusting rod.

And not for entry:
    some of the rough finished Courting Candles

And a photo showing the adjusting mechanism usually placed on a wooden base. (not my photo)

I haven't seen the results??

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,416 Major grins

@grandmaR said:
    I haven't seen the results??

This just ended today, probably hasn't had time to choose yet...

This mini will run for about 2 1/2 weeks until Monday August 22, 19:00 NWE time.

This mini has now ended (it actually ended 14 hours ago).
    I'll try to get the results up today or tomorrow

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

I lost track of the end date. :blush: