Emotionally Torn...

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited January 29, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This one has made me think a little harder. I am typically a very upbeat and positive guy but my first thought was the darker side of emotion. After telling my wife what my thought was, I dropped my original idea but these mundane ones don't seem to have what it takes to be "challenge worthy".

Which would you work on as an entry?

Passive
54252756-L.jpg

Or
Jealous
54253855-L.jpg

Or...would you go back to the drawing board?

Thanks for you comments.

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Is that a Sheltie in the second picture?
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    go with passive... its a brilliant photothumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Yes, go with the first photo, but it does not look "passive" to me. More like Very Disappointed, etc.......................I would change the title. She looks like a very sad child. At that moment, maybe she was told "no candy", etc. That is how I see that picture.

Don't go with another dog, they never get picked and Labs will enter one, and I might.

The first photo is a wonderful shot!!!!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Is that a Sheltie in the second picture?

She's an australian shephard. Good dog.
  • cariadcariad Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    The first picture is wonderful, I like how her face has been lit - I agree with Ginger, she looks like she's just been told No - more disappointed that passive.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Thanks Daniel, Ginger, Cariad for your compliments and comments. I like the first picture (sweetie of a girl) and it does capture some emotion, but I fear that the photo comes short since the challenge title is "Strong" Emotion. Passive, pensive, or disappointed to me represent some of the more mild emotions. My interpretation of the "Strong" emotions are: Dispair, Rage, Anger, Lonliness, Pride, Love, and such... My favorite and the most powerful emotion is "Love" but it is also the most difficult to portray or capture in a photo since the feeling stems from the heart and is felt there too. It may be manifest through a smile, a gleam in the eye, a gentle touch...but the capture of that moment photographically may only appear to be "happy". Hummmm...I think I have talked myself into going back to the drawing board to try to capture "love" unless you can convince me otherwise.

Thanks again for looking and for your comments. They are much appreciated. clap.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    My thoughts too
    shatch wrote:
    My interpretation of the "Strong" emotions are: Dispair, Rage, Anger, Lonliness, Pride, Love, and such... My favorite and the most powerful emotion is "Love" but it is also the most difficult to portray or capture in a photo since the feeling stems from the heart and is felt there too.

I was thinking of ways to portray "strong" emotion and ran thru the same gamut of thoughts.

Hmmm... I wonder if hunger is a strong emotion? I cut "lonliness" from the line-up because I don't think of it as a strong emotion.

It all comes down to I guess I equate "strong" with "action."

A fight scene would make a great photo, wouldn't it?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    you all have never been lonely enough, it can lead to suicide which can lead to death, smile!

I do agree kind of re the "strong" emotion, and I thought the subject of the photograph would be the one feeling it, not the one viewing the photograph.

Past that, we all might have different interpretations of what constitutes a strong emotion.

I have seen kids look like that who certainly think they have been very cruely deprived. What if she is listening to her parents fight and is all torn up inside? What if she is terribly afraid.........

Or maybe she is just being manipulative, but she convinces me!

On the "fight" thing, I thought of wrestling, but ours only happens live here once a month, I mean the fake visual kind!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    I really like the little girl, pensive and thoughtful.