Ch 57: OK another dog

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 31, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I only have my lenses for another day, so I tried to capture something tonight. Only problem, among many, is that I know too many ways to do black and white now. Out of Kelby's book and thinking of looking up Andy's tutorial.

54253242-L.jpg

54253232-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    54260642-L.jpg
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    I like the third one the best. Which technique did you use to make that one black and white? I'm assuming that most pros now shoot everything in color, and then do black and white in post? That way you always have the option of color.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    I agree...
    Hi Ginger,
    I was looking at your photos last night and my thoughts were exactly what you came up with in your third version. I love it! Great tonal range and emphasis in the right places. Great b&w conversion. thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 29, 2006
    ginger-

very nice!

is it
    'saturday night'---then 'movie: it's a dog's life'

or is it
    'saturday night movie'---then 'it's a dog's life'

if it's the latter, suggest moving 'movie' up to the first line and lose the colon-

regardless, well done!

george
    edited January 29, 2006
    Thank you!

I printed out Andy's Tutorial on Black and White.

(The photos didn't print, so I read it and tried to have it pretty well memorized in certain areas before I started.)

And by the way, I have no idea how to find the tutorials, idiot that I am. I used Rutt's tuturial to click on and found the others that way.

Then I sat here with Andy's instructions on my lap and pretty much followed them. I just woke up, so I might not remember some small thing I might have done. As you can see it was difficult to get what I wanted in the black and the white: the dog and the man. I wanted the dog to be the main subject.

I had turned off the other lights in the room except for that rather strong light on the side by Bill. I knew I wanted to get black and white and I knew I didn't want a lot of competing "things", so turning off lights made sense to me. I even burned that side a bit before I finished the photo so it wouldn't be too light. Just a bit into the photo and kind of one side of Bill's shirt with the burn thing set to about 30%. I used another method to separate out the popcorn and darken it a tad with the highlights/shadow thing.

I tried all the Kelby methods, but I did want to try Andy's. I would have tried Rutt's, I honestly don't understand it.........or I didn't at 2 AM.

One thing that really impressed me about Andy's was that simple thing of using levels (extra credit there) on the dog's eye. That brought it home for me.

Smile,
    thanks all you who looked and commented,
    more looking is fine, too. Comments, also.

I have to do a baptism this AM, but no matter what photos I take, I
    might stick with this one. It is with that lens that has served me so well and is being packed up and sent tomorrow, and it is of a reoccurring subject here, but one that is really dear to my heart.

And that dog is nothing if not emotional there!

ginger (any other comments??)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 29, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I like the third one the best. Which technique did you use to make that one black and white? I'm assuming that most pros now shoot everything in color, and then do black and white in post? That way you always have the option of color.

not only do you have the option of color but with the rgb channels you have the availability of producing the best b/w possible-

george
    edited January 29, 2006
    I always start with color, and keep the original there, and another copy of it. Shot this in RAW color.

That way I can change my mind, and I have never heard a good argument for starting in black and white. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard anyone advocate shooting in black and white.

Someone might specialize in that as a novelty or something, but I wouldn't know who........... The thing is, there are so many ways to get the blk and white now.

I usually work the color up first. That photo came up from RAW, auto settings, very nicely. I stopped working the color up first early on in the "game".

ginger (It is a nice color photo, I just wanted the simplicity and timeless feeling of black and white)
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hi Ginger.. love this shot.. it touched my heart.. I miss my doggie so.. thanks for this.
    edited January 29, 2006
    Thanks, Lynn!

My other Corgi is Lame right now, has hip dysplasia and he pulled something. Dogs are our joys and our pain. More joy than pain. This one
    is Merry Chapel, my two year old female. She is a sweetie, except when
    she is being an Alpha wannabee.

Thanks for your comment, Lynn.

ginger:D
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Yes the 3rd one! Nice B&W conversionthumb.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Norman ROckwellish Ginger. The third one does it for me!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 29, 2006
    You've done a nice job on that third one.

Hope your doggie feels better soon.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Lynn!

My other Corgi is Lame right now, has hip dysplasia and he pulled something. Dogs are our joys and our pain. More joy than pain. This one
    is Merry Chapel, my two year old female. She is a sweetie, except when
    she is being an Alpha wannabee.

Thanks for your comment, Lynn.

ginger:D

very nice ginger, and having a corgi, i can certainly relate. i like the third one also, everything seems to crisp and clear.

as for shooting in black and white, when i was in college (back when dirt was new) that's what we learned photography on, good old Tri-X. we did our own developing, i even had a darkroom in the basement. we really learned to depend more on the composition and setting of the photo than the color. i still have boxes of negs from that era, some of which i am going to scan and work with. i think i lost some of that touch when i started shooting in color.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    can someone post a link to andy's tutorial? i have been bookmarking all that i come across, but don't seem to have that one?

thanks
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
    edited January 29, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    can someone post a link to andy's tutorial? i have been bookmarking all that i come across, but don't seem to have that one?

thanks

Laurie, there is a whole page of tutorials.................amazing!

I will try to find them again, I think they may be on smugmug, but I will find out the address and let you know.

ginger

Oh, I used to shoot with tri-X, too, and I used to push it, that is probably one reason certain noise does not bother me.

I did not do much color as that involved slides back in the early seventies, late sixties.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Ginger,

Nice job capturing this shot. Great interplay between man and dog. And the longing expression goes well with the challenge. Good luck! thumb.gif

Erich