Options

Los Angeles night photo question

fizzyfizzyfizzyfizzy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Hi, I'm travelling to LA soon and am hoping to get that classic shot of Griffiths Observatory at dusk with the LA skyline in the background. Would anyone with a bit of local knowledge be able to steer me in the right direction where this is taken from and what kind of focal length I'll need? Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2022

@fizzyfizzy said:
    Hi, I'm travelling to LA soon and am hoping to get that classic shot of Griffiths Observatory at dusk with the LA skyline in the background. Would anyone with a bit of local knowledge be able to steer me in the right direction where this is taken from and what kind of focal length I'll need? Thanks :)

Hi there. I realize that you asked the question a month ago, so not sure if you have already completed your trip. If not, then should you want an image as the one attached below (you did not post a sample image), then you need to park at or near Griffith Observatory (Google Map for directions) and then hike up the Mt. Hollywood trail towards Mount Hollywood, starting at one of the two points shown in the second photo below. You could either start at the Charlie Turner TH or from the second arrow (West Trail) that will join the Mt. Hollywood Trail. After around a mile, you will start to get the view and you can then setup wherever you feel you have the composition you have in mind. Note that the Hollywood sign is actually on Mount Lee (not Mount Hollywood). If you keep following the Mount Hollywood Trail, past Dante's View, you will reach the summit of Mount Hollywood with fab and unobstructed views of LA (from Downtown to Long Beach and Santa Monica).

You would need a 24-70 or 70-200 depending on what you want to capture.

Cheers,