Options

Editing advice

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

I shot this in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. Not sure how to treat the bottom right corner. I already opened shadows and other stuff, a crop was not appealing. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

If you have Photo shop or similar, try the shadows/highlight setting and just adjust the shadows to the point they are not eliminated but still mailtain a good balance.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator

I wouldn't crop it but try to lighten the shadows in the lower right. I sent you a rough edit.

• Options

@Richard said:
    I wouldn't crop it but try to lighten the shadows in the lower right. I sent you a rough edit.

Thanks Richard. I will try your suggestion. Thanks

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Richard's advice will probably be better than mine. I'd consider darkening the area until the details are barely there. That's not where you want viewers to be looking.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2022

I knew that this subject could rattle the bushes. I love it. I originally thought of approaching it with the " lighten the dark area " idea. However, Don's idea also has a lot of merit. It would certainly add a good dose of drama and intrigue. Artistically, that's the way I'd go. But I think the other approach is probably more in line with Cristóbal's intent. Either way, I'm just excited to see discussion break out about the posting. And the beauty of the whole thing is that there are no losers or winners.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

Thanks everyone, I went with Richard's idea and this is the result.

Original

Final

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2022

Well done on the adjustment. Depending on the software, you could have gotten a little more shadow relief. But you then enter the arena where you might have to start dancing with some other adjustments. I think you're at a good spot here. BTW...I like your interpretation of the scene that was presented to you.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

Thanks Tom.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Cristóbal....

Well done on the final re-work. A very nice shot.

Another approach, albeit, when first encountering the scene and composing the shot is to consider a High Dynamic Range (HDR) image. Or at least taking one (or two) exposure shots one (or two) steps both lower and then higher. In post combine the individual shots and see if this addresses the deep shadow issue.

End of day, I like the resulting image!! Well done!

• Options

Good idea ! I'll give it a try..