Winter At The Zoo - Set #1

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Cold, dark, sub-zero temps along with multiple daytime job projects has limited my behind the lens time.

I did manage to take a short trip over the holidays and stopped to wander around almost totally alone, in a zoo I happened to be driving past. Surprisingly, despite the temps that day, there were some animals outside enjoying crisper, fresh air.

Not intending to be stopping into a zoo on this trip, I unfortunately did not have my kit with me. So, these images were taken with my phone. I hope to go back before all the crowds show up, with my kit and spend the day photographing the residents.

I typically do not photograph animals. However, taking a page from Don's try something new playbook, I spent some time wandering around the zoo and photographing animals. I kind of enjoyed it too.

This is set #1. As time and schedule permit, I will work on rendering the next set suitable for viewing and post when I can.

A bit tardy, however, Happy New Year one and all!

My zoo friends set #1...

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice set Gato! I like the fish pic and enjoy the happiness of the elephant shot.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Thanks Cristóbal, I appreciate your comments.

The fish actually live in the same environment as the hippo (the last image). Yes, they have the task of keeping both the environment and the hippos "clean." Nature's "waste management" team.

Thank you again for your comments.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Nice work....particularly with a cell phone. I'm sometimes still amazed at the quality shots coming from cell phones. How did you get so close to the owl? I tell you, Al, I'm just real happy to see you getting back to a more normal routine.. I know the folks on the forum have missed your work and your insightful take on things. Take care.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Wow, I just saw the last one on a big screen, it is awesome!!!!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

For zoo shots these are fantastic!

@black mamba said:
    Nice work....particularly with a cell phone. I'm sometimes still amazed at the quality shots coming from cell phones. How did you get so close to the owl? I tell you, Al, I'm just real happy to see you getting back to a more normal routine.. I know the folks on the forum have missed your work and your insightful take on things. Take care.

Thank you Tom!

Funny thing about the owl...we surprised each other.

I was walking through a rather "back area" of one of the habitat areas, with NO ONE around, absolutely still and quiet. I came around a corner and there was the owl perched on the porch railing of this log cabin.

Surprised, we looked at each other, stared really. Then I quietly position the mobile phone to take the shot and ever so slowly zoomed in and then took the shot.

In fact, the owl was rather cool about it and let me take multiple shots. I did not want to stress or scare him any so I slowly backed away. He simply watched me and then sprung into flight and took off.

A close encounter of the beautiful kind....nice to get so close to nature, in such a natural way.

Glad you liked the shot.

@Juano said:
    Wow, I just saw the last one on a big screen, it is awesome!!!!

Cristóbal, thank you for your assessment of the hippo image.

I was very unsure how any of these (and forthcoming) "zoo images" would look if enlarged, given that I took them on my aging mobile phone.

I am happy to know that the image looked respectable enlarged.

The hippo shot is one of my favorites...so far. I still have some lions, tigers, bears, orangoutangs and others to work on.

Thanks again for your comment.

@Stumblebum said:
    For zoo shots these are fantastic!

Thank you Taz!

Once I have some "down time" I hope to process more of the other images from this outing.

As I stated earlier, I do not normally photograph animals but, changing things up a bit was interesting, fun and I hope the resulting output is respectable.