Options

No Travel Photography Forum on DGrin ?

CelsoDinizCelsoDiniz Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited January 31, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hi,

I'm so crazy about the "MapThis" feature that I acquired a GPS device and now all my travel photos are linked to the GPS location (on the EXIF data of all pictures)... Not happy this afternoon I created a community named Travel-on-SmugMap-and-GoogleEarth which is dedicated only to Galleries with Travel Photos that have latitude and longitude. This way people can learn about places they want to visit by clicking those photos on the map.

This will hopefully get more people using SmugMap/GoogleEarth and who knows shortly we'll have photos covering the whole world on the map.

Well, finally I tried to find a forum about Travel Photography inside DGrin to promote the new community but for my surprise I couldn't find one ! Can we possibly have a Forum dedicated only to Travel Photography ?

Thank you !!!
Celso.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 29, 2006
    That is an interesting request. We try to keep things simple around here, not that the "other" websites with their hundreds of forums aren't great, but in our attempt to be unique, we've really tried to keep the number of forums to a minimum. Keeping with the "mostly about photos" theme of dgrin, travel photos will easily fall under the several categories we already have.

That explanation withstanding, I'm a total GPS and travel geek (mostly wannabe on the travel part lately), so let's hear some more more comments.

ear.gif

And, btw, welcome Celso! wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 29, 2006
    One more thing... maybe one of the other smarter mods can help me out here. I just tried searching for the few geographic "games" we've done here on the forum. There was the churches and we did synchronized shot around the world at one point, no? I can't find them at the moment.

But just trying to point out, we certainly embrace the maps feature built-in to smugmug.
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    and we did synchronized shot around the world at one point, no? I can't find them at the moment.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/601861
  • Options
    tibutibu Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Great Idea
    Hi

I'll join your community as soon as smugmug gets back from the maintenance mode. Nowadays I'm making all my galleries geoenables if possible and also got myself a GPS for making this easier

I just wish some of the map features on smugmug were improved, for instance:

- Why there is a limit on 150 photos? (Iguess is too heavy for the browser otherwise)
    - I like to have maps for categories/subcategories
    - Can map be customized?

Carlos
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    One man's travel is another man's home...

We have grinners here from many countries around the globe. What you might post as a "travel" shot might be their "street" shot. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    One man's travel is another man's home...

We have grinners here from many countries around the globe. What you might post as a "travel" shot might be their "street" shot. ne_nau.gif
    Ah, very good point, Angelo!
    Erik

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    sometimes it's hard to see what's right in front of us; it's nice to get an "outsider's" perspective on our town. just a thought.