Mini-Challenge #355 - Beat the Heat (or Keeping your Cool in a Summer Heatwave)
I'm sure some of you folks are in some more comfortable areas, but here in Central Texas we are stuck under a sweltering heat dome that just won't go away. Our air temperatures have hovered around 100, but our heat index has us between 115-120. Folks, that is just too hot. So, of course all I can think about is ways to stay cool right now. Hence, my idea for this mini.
What I'd like to see is shots that show the various ways to cope with a summer heat wave. I don't have photos of all that I am thinking about, but this could be swimming, boating, hiking in the mountains, playing in a fountain, eating ice cream, etc. I'm sure y'all have way better ideas than I have. My brain has melted, lol.
Let's run this mini through 5:00 pm Central Daylight time on July 20, 2023. That will give me time to go visit my daughter who lives in a cooler place and then settle in back home.
Here are a few examples of what I have in mind.
Post graduation shoot at a local waterfall
Eating a popsicle
Water park ride
Hike the Narrows at Zion
Hike in the Mountains (Yes, it was cold up there. My daughter was chilly so she grabbed an extra jacket that we always keep in the car. It was just a little big for her, lol.)
I don't really have any great shots to share here, so I am counting on all of you to help me out and make it tough for me. I was looking for a couple of particular images. I will swap those out or add them when I find them. Send those cool summer vibes my way!
Remember this mini ends on July 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm CDT.
Here are the un official rules.
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.