IR Digital Startup-Advise Needed

sandychiansandychian Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited January 29, 2006 in Cameras
Hi Andy,
I am very impressed by your IR work. I have just started to experiment IR
digital photography using my Canon G5 (and Hoya R72 filter) and have
some very limited success. The biggest problem is that all my pictures
are out-of-focus. Would appreciate your advise how I can achieve better focussing. I saw your pictures taken with IR modified Sony F828
and they were very sharp and literally noise-free. Are these pictures digitally sharpened and noise reduced?

Would buying one of these IR-modified camera the way to go?

Appreciate your advice.

Thank you,
Sandy Chianhttp://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/rolleyes1.gif

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    wave.gif Hi Sandy!

So, you might try a tripod for your G5 and R72 setup. IR can benefit from really stable camera. What shutter speeds are you able to shoot at with the G5 and R72? And what ISO are you using?

True, the pics that come from the modded cameras are MUCH less noisy than the non-modded pics. The best I've seen are from my Canon 300D IR modification - which you can read about here. The reason? Big sensor, superior noise performance. Also, with the modded cameras, I can shoot at fast shutter speeds, allowing for handheld shooting with clear, sharp photos.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next IR-mod, the Sony R1 is being modded for me right now by Maxmax. I should have it soon.

For some tips on IR post-processing, look here.

I hope this helps :D
  • sandychiansandychian Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2006
    IR Startup
    Hi Andy,
    Wow...thanks for the speedy reply.
    Basically, I set the camera to aperture priority and (I think it was set to ISO 100) and let the camera choose the exposure time...and I did use a tripod and set the camera on a timer. Any advice on the setting that I can try will be appreciated. I am still a long way from the stuff you have put up on the website...they are simply breathtaking.
    Thanks
    sandy
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Sandy!

So, you might try a tripod for your G5 and R72 setup. IR can benefit from really stable camera. What shutter speeds are you able to shoot at with the G5 and R72? And what ISO are you using?

True, the pics that come from the modded cameras are MUCH less noisy than the non-modded pics. The best I've seen are from my Canon 300D IR modification - which you can read about here. The reason? Big sensor, superior noise performance. Also, with the modded cameras, I can shoot at fast shutter speeds, allowing for handheld shooting with clear, sharp photos.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next IR-mod, the Sony R1 is being modded for me right now by Maxmax. I should have it soon.

For some tips on IR post-processing, look here.

I hope this helps :D
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    ir
    sandy

its best in in strong sumlight-morning or afternoon produce the most infrared red light-try setting a smaller aperture to attain greater depth of field and try a shutter speed of between 1/30th and 1/60-also try using your self timer to minimise vibration.

then pay some attention to processing-levels and sharpening/unsharp mask
    sandychian wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    Wow...thanks for the speedy reply.
    Basically, I set the camera to aperture priority and (I think it was set to ISO 100) and let the camera choose the exposure time...and I did use a tripod and set the camera on a timer. Any advice on the setting that I can try will be appreciated. I am still a long way from the stuff you have put up on the website...they are simply breathtaking.
    Thanks
    sandy
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • sandychiansandychian Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2006
    IR-advice
    Hi Greg,
    Thank you so much for your advice. I will definately try the setting you've suggested. Will keep you posted.
    Cheers,
    sandy
    gtc wrote:
    sandy

its best in in strong sumlight-morning or afternoon produce the most infrared red light-try setting a smaller aperture to attain greater depth of field and try a shutter speed of between 1/30th and 1/60-also try using your self timer to minimise vibration.

then pay some attention to processing-levels and sharpening/unsharp mask