Options

Lactarius mairei

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins

This is a very rare species, “vulnerable” on the Red Data List. It can be found growing in association with oak trees on calcareous soils. Although I visit many mushroom-rich locations within about an hour’s drive from home, I know of only one place where I can find it, in South Oxfordshire. I found it (was guided to it) there in November 2021 and October 2023.

Originally first found in Morocco, it was described as new to science in 1939. It is easy to recognise because of its fringe of whiskers.

“In some parts of Europe, this mushroom is edible if cooked well. But in most cases, it is described as a toxic species that can cause severe gastrointestinal disorders with diarrhea and vomiting”. Never pick a mushroom to eat, relying on images and information on websites.

2021: Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus m4/3 30mm f3.5 ED macro, 1/80 and 1/13 sec at f11 ISO 500, hand-held.

2023: Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/80 at f8 and 1/40 at f11 ISO 800, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold