Rugby on Ice

KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited January 31, 2006 in Sports
I wasn't able to get out to the local rugby match on Saturday (although it looks like it was canceled anyway), but I did manage to find some time on Sunday afternoon to catch some of the local youth hockey action.

These are 11-12 year olds playing in the SEHL. They travel on weekends playing all over the southeastern U.S.

(Their parents looked stressed :huh)

(Click on image for EXIF)

54351357-L.jpg

54368314-L.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    Nice ones Kent thumb.gif

Laughing.gif @ Rugby on ice rolleyes1.gif Reminds me of the old quote "I was at a boxing match and a hockey game broke out" :lol

Is it me, or are these tilting left? ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Is it me, or are these tilting left? ne_nau.gif

Steve

The problem is that there is only one pane of glass at the rink clean enough to shoot through. Photographing from that position results in a shot angle which causes a parallax with the other components in the field of view which in turn gives one the impression that the scene is tilted.

I've found that if you raise the right side of your monitor about a quarter of an inch, the illusion is diminished. :uhoh

Kent
    Web site
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Nice job on your white balance. I like the tableau of the second piccie. Without having shot it myself, I'm thinking that ice hockey is one of the most difficult sports to capture. It moves so quickly, the interesting moments are so fleeting. I suspect one needs to have great anticipation.

Where was this game?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Where was this game?

There are two good sites for photographing amateur hockey here in metro-Atlanta.

These were shot at The Cooler in Alpharetta. The other location is the MIC (Marietta Ice Center) obviously in Marietta. Both places have websites that give directions.

Both places also host games played in the AAHL (Atlanta Amateur Hockey League) these are mostly adults over 35, the SEHL (Southeastern Elite Hockey League) youth traveling teams, and the SYHL (Southern Youth Hockey League).

The MIC also is the home rink for the Georgia Tech hockey team; check their website for the schedule.

I've not had much luck getting schedules for any of the other leagues with the exception of the AAHL. But if you go to The Cooler on any Saturday or Sunday, there are most likely games going on from early morning until late evening.

FYI: there is a college tournament hosted by Kennesaw State at The Cooler this weekend. 7 or 8 college teams are coming in for it, but I can't remember them all. It cranks up on Friday night at 7:00 p.m.

Kent
    Web site
    edited January 31, 2006
    As always, you're incredibly helpful. Thanks, Kent! thumb.gif

This morning I found this for the SEHL sched, I suspect you already have it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    This morning I found this for the SEHL sched, I suspect you already have it.
    Yep, I'd found the SEHL schedule. The AAHL schedules are available on their website, but most of their games are played on weeknights, starting as late as 10:00 p.m.

If you're interested here's a link with information on the college tournament that's going to be held at the Cooler this weekend. It's from the UGA Hockey team website, but lists all of the other teams and the game schedules

http://www.ugahockey.com/regional.shtml

I'm hoping to be there for some of the games. I'll be the guy with the camera standing in front of the one clean pane of glass on the south end of the red rink! :D

Kent
    Web site
    edited January 31, 2006
    You're not kidding, I see games starting at 10:30pm! That's my style, none of this early morning 'golden light' silliness. :D
    Sid.
  • goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    KMCC wrote:
    I wasn't able to get out to the local rugby match on Saturday (although it looks like it was canceled anyway), but I did manage to find some time on Sunday afternoon to catch some of the local youth hockey action.

These are 11-12 year olds playing in the SEHL. They travel on weekends playing all over the southeastern U.S.

Kent,
    Great pictures. I see from the exif file that you used a custom WB. Would you mind sharing how you did that?

Greg
    edited January 31, 2006
    goodcrna wrote:
    Kent,
    Great pictures. I see from the exif file that you used a custom WB. Would you mind sharing how you did that?Greg
    Thanks for the comments.

I noticed that the EXIF file indicates custom WB, and while there is a method for truly customizing the WB on the 20D (see page 51 of the manual), I was simply using the "White Fluorescent Light" White Balance setting.

I took a test shot with the "Tungsten" setting and one at "White Flourescent" and compared them on the LCD. Even though the lighting in the arena isn't flourescent, I liked the look at that setting; so I stayed with it.

I also tweaked contrast and levels using Photoshop Elements and since they were shot at ISO 3200, I ran them all through Noiseware.

I hope this helps.

Kent
    Web site