my young models

MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited January 31, 2006 in People
Here are a few shots from a few weeks ago. Let me know what you think...

This is my oldest. She loves to pose for me. (Except now she has the idea I should give her money to do it)
54373624-M.jpg

54373606-M.jpg

This is my youngest. She loves aggravating big sister.
54373617-M.jpg

The hair is a little distracting, but it is very curly she hates to have barrettes in her hair.
54373633-M.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Thanks for looking,
Mel

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    You have some very happy little girls. It must be nice to have them model for you. I think you some White balance issues in these shots. If that is the same blue blanket in the background then it changes color in each shot. Your daughters face in the second shot is very red and I think the last two have a yellow cast. If you'd like you could post these in Photoshop Shenanigans and they could help you color correct these. Hope to see more shots of your beautiful children in the future.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    You have some very happy little girls. It must be nice to have them model for you. I think you some White balance issues in these shots. If that is the same blue blanket in the background then it changes color in each shot. Your daughters face in the second shot is very red and I think the last two have a yellow cast. If you'd like you could post these in Photoshop Shenanigans and they could help you color correct these. Hope to see more shots of your beautiful children in the future.
    Thanks for the comments. Proper white balance always seems to give me problems. I fixed a lot of the red and yellow color before posting. I did notice the blanket was a different shade of blue each time.
    Is there any way to learn to get the right WB? Or do you just have to practice, practice, and practice some more?

Thanks,
    Mel
  • cariadcariad Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    MelP wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. Proper white balance always seems to give me problems. I fixed a lot of the red and yellow color before posting. I did notice the blanket was a different shade of blue each time.
    Is there any way to learn to get the right WB? Or do you just have to practice, practice, and practice some more?

Thanks,
    Mel

Firstly, your girls are stunning and very cute :)

The white balance is something I've been working on to, my photos always seem to be slightly off which makes for more work in photoshop.

What I've started doing is carrying a white card around with me. Each camera instructions are different but mine is pretty straight forward. I have to go into settings, hold the card in front of the lens, hold the button down until it beeps, and voila, WB is set.

I've noticed a tremendous difference in the past few days.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    If you shoot in RAW you can always adjust the White Balance easily during post but it is harder to do if you shoot jpg. Another option in the situation these were shot in(meaning same background/lighting) is to just make sure you use the same WB mode each time you shoot. Take a couple practice shots and figure out which WB setting looks the most acurate to you and then stick with it. Personally I use AUTO WB and have not had too much trouble with it and if I do have a problem I fix it in post because I shoot RAW.

If you would like help correcting these post them in the
    Photoshop Shenanigans
    forum, they are very good and also friendly in there.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    MelP wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. Proper white balance always seems to give me problems.
    Set a custom white balance. Those shots were studio in non-changing light conditions. Set a custom white balance once, then shoot with that. Voila, no work in post. At least not for color balance. Invest in a grey card (see your friendly camera store or look online). Using it is pretty simple.

Don't do in Photoshop what you can easily do before you press the shutter. ;)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu