Options

un-freakin' believable

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 17, 2004 in Finishing School
i get all the photo mags sent to my house. many i don't want, but they come any way. popular photography came yesterday. they have a section called "the fix" where they [supposedly] fix your photos and show the results in the mag.

spot the *horrible* masking done here in this photo?

8655327-L.jpg

8655326-L.jpg

this is the sort of thing that makes me ill. they have a big readership, and are influential to many photo-hobbyists.

in my layer mask tutorial [here] i talk about the importance of doing the fine-edged brushing at 200, 300% magnification, and using brushes of lessening opacities. then you won't get this horrible exposure mis-match :D

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif

Andy,

I'm working on a notebook PC with a fairly crummy display... at first I couldn't see anything wrong with the picture. Then... I tilted the notebook and started looking at the screen from a different angle and wow there's the bad mask.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    I see lots of old film prints where the dodging and burning are extremely obvious. I wonder why that aesthetic is no longer acceptable?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    don't get me wrong, sid -
    wxwax wrote:
    I see lots of old film prints where the dodging and burning are extremely obvious. I wonder why that aesthetic is no longer acceptable?

i agree, sid ... there's a time and place for that, and i've used the effect. but in this case, it's just poor photoshop work in the area of exposure correction. and this is a major national publication, in the "how-to" section of the mag ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    andy wrote:
    i agree, sid ... there's a time and place for that, and i've used the effect. but in this case, it's just poor photoshop work in the area of exposure correction. and this is a major national publication, in the "how-to" section of the mag ne_nau.gif
    As we work and play with image editing, I think we begin to develop a more critical eye - I see adds in national publications with such obvious PS editing flaws that I am astounded - I remember one by Jeep showing a Cherokee ostensibly driving rapidly up a dry gravel gulch with no dust or debris behind the traction wheels - Once you noticed it it stood out like a sore thumb. But apparently most of the general public does NOT notice these thingsne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin