Options

Admiring Rothko

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator

NIce. I've been a Rothko fan for most of my life, though I've never really understood just why I find it so appealing. This one is chromatically simpler than many, but the principle is the same. We are left to wonder what she is making of it, and I'm guessing he would have liked that.

• Options

@Richard said:
    NIce. I've been a Rothko fan for most of my life, though I've never really understood just why I find it so appealing. This one is chromatically simpler than many, but the principle is the same. We are left to wonder what she is making of it, and I'm guessing he would have liked that.

Thanks Richard. I am also a Rothko fan, I went to this fabulous retrospective in Paris last week. I had no idea that he started painting kind of impressionistic scenes of the metro, movie theaters and such. At some point in the mid-thirties he stopped painting altogether and when he came back in the forties he was the Rothko we know. I also wonder what she's sensing, I also stood in front of several paintings like her.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator

I read some reviews of that exhibition and I am totally envious that you got to see it. It was billed as the largest single collection of his work ever.

• Options

@Richard said:
    I read some reviews of that exhibition and I am totally envious that you got to see it. It was billed as the largest single collection of his work ever.

It was fabulous :)

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

I love this shot, Cristóbal. If the art piece the girl is looking at is a typical Rothko work, I'm not sure I be a fan.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

Thanks Tom, I have to say his paintings are quite impressive and large. As anything else, liking it or not is up to the individual. I hope all is well with you..

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Fine photo, Cristobal.

I grew up in Houston, where the Rothko Chapel is located. (Picture and story here. https://www.artnews.com/feature/rothko-chapel-why-is-it-important-1202687857/) I'm not a particular fan of his work. But in this place his paintings had a cumulative effect on me. If you find yourself in Houston, it's worth a visit.

• Options

Thanks Don, I hope I get a chance to visit.