Start page with (only) gallery in full screen mode?

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,345 Major grins

I'm trying to set up a URL that I can display on televisions which will just run a slide show.

It works fine, except that I can get a full screen button, but I would really like the page to start in full screen mode, to avoid having my web sites' normal headers, footers, tabs from showing and taking up space on the TV.

I'm drawing a complete blank.

Right now I'm using a web page (not gallery or folder), customized. Which means by default lots of other stuff. I thought I knew how to remove that, but the items that are shown as "on enter site" are... well, on this page as well. If I could get rid of everything but the slide show that might be good (though not as good), but it seems emphatic at "entire site" really meaning it.

All I really want is a URL that is JUST a slide show. Hoping not to have to build a separate web site to get it?

Am I missing something obvious?

Linwood

Tagged:

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,345 Major grins

I have found a way to get this to work, but only partially.

I can, using the "share" get a link to the slideshow, and that URL opens in full screen mode. However, I (apparently) cannot control stylesheet elements there with CSS, and the slideshow has a stark white background. I really prefer black. Is there a place I can put CSS customizations that will affect the slideshow link?

Lack of activity here is concerning -- is this the kind of thing the help desk can answer? Once upon a time there was a huge contingent of customization folks here. Activity seems to have died down?

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,345 moderator
    edited August 25, 2024

@Ferguson said:
    Lack of activity here is concerning -- is this the kind of thing the help desk can answer? Once upon a time there was a huge contingent of customization folks here. Activity seems to have died down?

I found a help page discussing options for the slideshow content block but I didn't see a background color option.
    https://www.smugmughelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/18212966575380-Customize-the-slideshow-content-block

You might try using the slideshow content block instead of using the share link.

It's probably worth contacting the help desk about the background color.

@denisegoldberg said:
    You might try using the slideshow content block instead of using the share link.

It's probably worth contacting the help desk about the background color.

I did, the content block on a SM page comes up not full screen. That requires (when I display on a TV monitor) someone to get a remote and figure out how to "clock" on the full screen button. I'm trying to get this so the home automation system can just display a gallery on command on a TV, without human intervention.

I'll write to the help desk. Thanks for confirming it's not something obvious.

Here's the difference in one with background on, and off. Most of what I want to display are astrophotography, and the white background is just awful around them.

VERY quick answer back from Smugmug support (glad to see those guys are still on top of things). Not what I wanted to hear, but at least definitive:

Unfortunately the sharable slideshow links do not pick up any of the CSS within your SmugMug site, and there is not currently a way to change the background photo. There is also not a current way to start a sliceshow in full screen automatically when its within a content block. We went ahead and forwarded this on as a feature request.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,345 moderator