580 or lense?

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited January 31, 2006 in Cameras
with the sale of my Nikkor 55mm i now have enough money to get either a 580EX, or save up about 100 more, and get a Sigma 70-200 2.8 *non DG*

my question to you, which one do i spring for?

i need neither yet, but seeing as how the 10D isn't spectacular for Low ISO images, i need the extra stops, and the flash wouldn't hurt either. so far i've had no need for the extra lenght, or a flash desperately... but it sure would help, eventually i plan to own both, my question is just which one to get first. and then save up more.

thanks

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    I'm gonna vote for a flash. Except I'd say pick up Sigma's Super ETTL-II flash, 'cause it's nearly as great as the 580, and at MUCH less moola. Put the rest towards savings for the 70-200.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    HeldDown wrote:
    I'm gonna vote for a flash. Except I'd say pick up Sigma's Super ETTL-II flash, 'cause it's nearly as great as the 580, and at MUCH less moola. Put the rest towards savings for the 70-200.

i put it on FM and so far i've gotten 40 for the flash and 37 for the lense.....

lol3.gif

seeing as FM is really helpin out with the decision anyone else got a suggestion?mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    Daniel - if you need external flash, you also need a stand, and an off camera ETTL cord, or an ST-E2 to get the flash off the camera where it does not belong. So there is more expence than just the flash. Instead....

Instead of the 70-200 zoom, why not the 85 f1.8 or 100 f2.8 macro or the great 135f2 L. All are outstanding hunks of glass that will blow all but the very, very best zooms into the weeds.

On the 10D, the 135f2 L will give you the reach of a 200mm lens on a standard full frame camera. And it is one sweet lens that your fellow shooters will envy you owning....The 100 f2.8 macro opens up a whole new realm to explore and I'm sure you want to also.

The 10D is great camera - it will serve you well for a few more years. Think good prime glass for your futurethumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    I was in the same situation a few months ago, and I chose the 580. I knew that I wanted to take pictures of my boy, indoors, so it was a natural choice... of course, it wasn't long afterward that I bought the 50 f1.4. :D
    Chris
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    with the sale of my Nikkor 55mm
    Oh, now it's your Nikkor?!? Poor Grandma, no props, no props at all. Did you at least get her some flowers?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh, now it's your Nikkor?!? Poor Grandma, no props, no props at all. Did you at least get her some flowers?

lol. she gave it to me because i brought my grade in Geometry from a D to a B deal.gif
    Daniel Bauer